1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEED HELP FOR INFORMATION ON MANHATTAN RESTAURANTS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gold, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Gold

Gold Active Member

My nephew is going to New York for some business for about four days. Although my heart and mind are in New Jersey and New York, my restaurant knowledge is probably outdated.

What are some good places to eat which are reasonably priced? What is the latest on the best pizza places?

Any help and info is appreciated. I told my nephew this is the best group to ask.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Gold, This comes up on here occasionally and you probably haven't noticed. There are way too many good restaurants in Manhattan. Can you narrow it down by type of food, exact budget and neighborhood?

For pizza, Lombardi's in Soho is great for sitdown, hot out of coal oven pizza. It is probably America's first pizzeria -- dates back to 1905. Other decent sitdown (order by the pie) are Arturos on Houston (good brick oven), John's (but I'd recommend sticking just to the one on Bleeker Street), and Patsy's (the one on University). Lombardi's really is a few paces ahead of those two at this point, though. Otto Enoteca is Mario Batali's lower-end restaurant and has decent pizza. It's sit down and I wouldn't try it without a reservation. By the slice, for my money the Famous Ray's (every pizza place in NY is called Ray's, but they are not the same) on 12th Street & 6th Ave. is the best slice. You have to like it REALLY cheesy, thick crust (not NY standard). I put Famous Joe's at Carmine & Bleeker a step behind. Ben's (one in the village on W 3rd Street and one in Soho on Thompson, I believe) is underrated.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why is he yelling?

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Does your nephew always have trouble feeding himself in major American cities?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Gray's Papaya at 8th and 37th.
    That have two other locations, but I can only speak to the mid-town spot.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You're just a regular Julia Child, Buck

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Would that make him "Big Jule?"

8. The Big Ragu

I wouldn't do it with your stomach. But if you insist, there is one in the Village by the W 4th Street stop. Your $1 or $2 will by you a combination of pig lips, rodent intestines and unidentifiable filler that many OTHER people seem to like.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

While it's great to have good advice from the locals, I also enjoy the process of finding places.

Last time I was in Manhattan, a colleague and I walked to the Village from midtown and just picked a place after walking around and seeing what was there. Most of the small restaurants there have their menus posted outside, so you can see what you can afford in most cases.

That all being said, if your nephew likes what he sees in Ragu's recommendations, go for it.

10. The Big Ragu

Do you remember what the place was?

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoy nice restaurants, but I like hot dogs, too.
    And Gray's Papaya is awesome.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't give away the secret ingredients.
    Seriously, I know you survive on grass clippings and rain water, but you're missing out when you won't eat Gray's Papaya.

Draft saved Draft deleted