1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Help Deciding Whom To Hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by editorhoo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. The Granny

The Granny Guest

I played that position in softball.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Do you not have a superior? I'd ask him or her for advice before asking complete strangers on a message board. But that's just me.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, hoo. if it were me, i think i would have just climbed aboard that wrong turn and let it go.

but right back to the scab. wow. impressive.

4. JackReacher

I heard you played a lot of positions. Slut.

5. The Granny

The Granny Guest

:D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Uh. no. It means I ask for and take advice from people I know and trust ... not from a group of anonymous message board posters.

But thanks for the judging me, since you know me so well. Further proves my point.

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Well, I pounded the pavement around my neighborhood but just couldn't seem to find a large group of sports journalists whose thoughts I could get in the matter of few minutes.

And I never said I was going to base my decision on what people here said. Just wanted to know what other people thought.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Hmmm... "need help deciding whom to hire" sure makes it sound like the opinions of anonymous people (some of whom might not even be joournalists) were going to matter.

Actually, it's rather sad that there's no one you work with whom you trust enough to ask for advice but you do trust a bunch of anonymous people on a message board.

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I have two superiors, and I definitely will seek their opinion. But there literally are thousands of fellow journalists on here, and I think to get a general opinion from a large segment of people who do the same thing I do is a helpful tool.

I'm not going to take any one thing one person says on here as gospel, but I do think it's helpful to get a general idea of what people think.

10. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Please read my above post. I just want to get a general feel for a large segment of what the industry has to say.

And for the record, I TRUST NO ONE. The decision ultimately is mine.

11. JackReacher

I still don't get it. With a decision like this, it's slightly important to have met the people before offering any kind of advice.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

hoo:

You say you think B is ahead in terms of the job because of a class and an interest in the field. But B is shy, hasn't gone after the job, and sounds like a complete slacker. There's no part of B that sounds like a journalist. At all.

I worry about your decision-making skills based solely on that. That person should never even be in the conversation, time to train or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted