1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Help Deciding Whom To Hire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by editorhoo, Oct 5, 2008.

1. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Have a part-time position open and it's down to two candidates. I've interviewed them twice and still can't decide. Thought I post here to see what the board had to say.

Candidate A:
    This person has consistently pursued the job (which scores major points for me), has not taken a journalism class, but is a solid writer. Candidate A just started college (not for journalism), will be taking a year off before going back, and is interested in keeping the job the entire time while in college. Candidate A interviews very well, asks A LOT of questions and is very outgoing.

Candidate B:
    This person has pursued the job very little, although is very interested, has taken one news-writing class and is interested in pursuing a sports writing career. Candidate B has one-plus year of school left so could here and gone quickly. This person does not interview well because of shyness and doesn't ask many questions.

They're both from the area and both played sports in the area.

Thoughts?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Judging by your description, you like A better.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

I'd go with A.

4. Candidate A sounds like the clear winner to me.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Why is B still in the conversation, based on what u say here?

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Pick the better all-around writer.

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I like candidate B because of the news-writing class and the interest in the profession.

I would have to teach Candidate A all about the basics, inverted pyramid, how to write a proper lede, etc.

8. schiezainc

It sounds like Candidate A would be the better pick long-term. Would you mind bringing him along and helping him through his inital bumps?

9. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Normally I would mind, because I never used to have the time to mentor. But I've had an experienced staff for four years, and I've never had that before. So, no, I guess I wouldn't mind.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Well then lock. the. thread. It's A.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If you know the right ways, you can mold him or her into a good reporter. If B is learning the wrong ways, it might take you more time to break him or her down in order to make strides to creating a good reporter.

12. schiezainc

Could you agree that, long-term, A is the better choice? Sounds like B has the skills to plug the hole right away and hit the ground running but ultimately A might be the better choice b/c he is more likely to learn your style/what you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted