1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help buying new MacBook

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Simon

Simon Active Member

My iBook of three years finally died a few months back and it's time to buy a new one. Any suggestions on where to find the best deals out there in the internets? Shoot me some ideas. A phone plan thread saved me about $500 a year ago so I'm hoping for some more good luck. :D

Oh yeah, anyone have any experienced with a refurbished one?
  2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Three years? Wow. I hope mine lasts longer than that. Yeesh.
  3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

People have told me it's possible to get a student discount relatively easily at the Apple store online. The computer's a bit cheaper and they'll throw in an iPod sometimes. Had a "friend" do this by saying he was going to the local junior college. No proof is necessary.
  4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Mine's at 4.5 years, on its third hard drive and still going strong. Was able to get all the files back from both HD 1 and 2, too.

Depends on the store. I've found the campus stores are actually pretty snooty about it. I had to show my student ID and fill out a paper (and they made a photocopy of the ID) when I bought mine ... back when I was still in college.

Of course, I've kept the ID, just in case I need to replace it someday soon. :D
  5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

You missed the "online" part. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing/
  6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oooh $50 off a Macbook. You're still paying $1000 for a computer when you can get a PC for $500.
  7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Sorry, IJAG, but you get what you pay for. Those two hard drive replacements (and data saving)? Didn't cost me a penny. I spent $1000 on a PC laptop six years ago. Spent $1900 1.5 years later to replace it (out of necessity) with this baby, which still purrs like a kitten. When it finally does go, I'll spend $1500 on another Apple laptop in a heartbeat.

And del, yeah, I did. Sorry ... reading comprehension went downhill tonight. :-[
  8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I paid $399 for my PC desktop the better part of 6 years ago. Still humming along just fine. My Mac laptop? Three months.

Yeah, you get what you pay for: A lot of marketing.
  9. lono

lono Active Member

Maybe your Mac would have worked better had you not soaked its innards with your favorite beverage.

Or is your PC waterproof?
  10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I can catch a virus for much less than $500.
  12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've had this laptop for probably close to 6 years now and it runs just fine. No viruses, no hard drive replacements. I had to replace the keyboard last spring and that's it. That cost me $40.
Draft saved Draft deleted