1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need help: AAU Basketball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LiveStrong, Feb 7, 2008.

1. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

I'm working on a long piece for a non-sports publication that includes a little about AAU basketball. The editor wants me to quickly tell what AAU is, but I'm having trouble getting it right. I need just a quick graph describing it, but I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. CRM

CRM Member

Athletic Amateur Union: www.aausports.org

The common mistake is calling many of the high profile basketball traveling teams AAU teams. They aren't. They are shoe-sponsored traveling teams with coaches who aren't certified by AAU. There are hundreds of AAU teams, but only about 50 shoe-sponsored teams, who control most of the elite recruits.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

This might be an oversimplification, but couldn't you just say "AAU, or competitive travel club basketball..." or something of that nature.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Even some mediocre AAU hoops players make significantly more money than your average sportswriter.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

google.com

6. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

It's been used, thanks. Nothing that works in this context. And yes, I did look at the AAU official sites, too.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

horse's mouth:http://aausports.org/default.asp?a=pg_contact_us.htm

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

AAU = Teams that can cherry pick their players and play all year long.

Draft saved Draft deleted