1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well, the 300d is four years old now. You've only got six megapixels to play with, which means you're out of luck when it comes to producing bigger prints.

For newspaper work or photos as big as 8X10, you should be fine. Magazine work or any print size bigger than 8X10, you'll notice the quality slip.

The lenses you have are pretty cheap - I've never heard of Quantaray and upon doing a Google search, it's basically a no-name brand where you get what you pay for. I'd highly recommend going out and getting a better long lens than this one, if you can afford it. Lenses are the most important part of your system.

The flash is a good one, having all those filters is a wonderful way to protect your lenses (both current and future lenses) and the backpack and tripods are great long-term investments.

For $400, that's a great deal.

2. KG

KG Active Member

Gomer for now it's just for fun, not anything work related. This is my first camera that's not a point and shoot. I wanted to start with something basic to get a feel for it. The lenses are cheap, but I figured it's a starting point. I'll keep an eye out here and there for deals on some used lenses to add to the collection.

Any recommendations on sites that might help me quickly learn how to use this stuff?

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Yeah, good deal. Did the owner say how many shots he took with it? Also, be advised, the 300D is notorious for the 'Error 99'.

4. KG

KG Active Member

No, he never said how many shots he took. They bought it when they had their baby, and he used it some when he traveled for his job. He's not traveling anymore and wanted to get rid of it.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Well then it's a great start. How to use it? Well, it depends if you want advice on how to take photos or how to use the camera. You can find the owners manual here - http://www.starbatteries.com/caeos30direo.html - I'm a geek so that's usually enough for me.

I'd also recommend checking out dpreview's review on the camera here - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/ - since it explains a lot of what the camera can do.

Of course, you can always just start a thread on message board somewhere... oh, wait, you already did that. Ask away!

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I just bought a refurbished Canon D40 for $700 from www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/ and love it.

I already have some lenses and needed a new body, and it's super.

The body is important but good lenses are more important.

7. KG

KG Active Member

One of my friends has a Canon 35mm, but has several lenses. She said I could use her lenses if I wanted to play around to figure out what lens I wanted to buy next.

8. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks for the links. I started playing around with it last night and figured some stuff out. I still have much to learn though. I'm going hiking at the usual national park tomorrow, so I'll be taking it along for sure. I think I'll take a little notebook so I can keep track of which pics (by #s) I used which filters and stuff with, so I can get a better idea of what they do for the pic visually.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't have a camera anymore, and it bums me out. I miss taking photos with a real camera.

But I recommend the one I used up in New Hampshire, the Nikon D-100. It's solid, sturdy, and won't break your bank account. You can probably find a quality used on on eBay or any other camera Web sites.

10. KG

KG Active Member

Is there somewhere (other than photobucket) that is user friendly and easy to load pictures for storage and sharing?

11. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Try photoshop.com for that.

12. KG

KG Active Member

I have a stupid question. If I pick up a USB card reader, it'll act pretty much like a jump drive, right? What I mean is, can I use the card reader in any computer like a jump drive?

Draft saved Draft deleted