1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Camera Advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KG, Feb 19, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

I don't want to choose one just because it was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than something else. I really do want the better quality. I don't want to have to buy another one within this year.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is that the same camera I sent you a link for?

3. KG

KG Active Member

Yes just a different store. At Wolf, with their sale this week, I can get another lens for a penny.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon D50 (no longer in production, but you might get a good deal on a used one). Not the best for sports action, but I can make it work well enough. It is great, however, for everything else I need.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

My photog specifically recommended the Nikon D40 to me as the digital SLR I should get once I decide it's time to get one. My office has a Kodak Picture Share 0710 we use whenever she's unavailable to take photos. We occasionally can get good photos out of it. I'm particularly proud of a photo I took with that camera of Jesse Jackson which we used on the front page.

Lenses are very important, but if you want to do sports, you need something with a much faster shutter speed than anything you'd get with $1,000.

MO, YMMV

6. KG

KG Active Member

What I need is a sugar daddy so I can get something like this one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-1Ds-1D-s-Mark-III-Pro-Digital-SLR-Camera-NEW_W0QQitemZ120222790861QQihZ002QQcategoryZ43454QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

7. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Not true. The Nikon D40 and Canon Rebel XTi both go as fast as 1/4000 of a second and both have ISO settings as high as 1600. And they're both around $600 for the body/$900 for a two-lens kit.

All you need to know was posted by Ragu, though I'd add that either Nikon or Canon are perfectly fine ways to go. Get a cheap body, spend some coin on a couple lenses that get you a wide focal range with as big an aperture setting (lower f-stop, like 2.8) as you can afford. If you're shooting sports, you need at least 200 mm. I'd also recommend a teleconverter for outdoor sports - it's cheaper than getting a 300 mm lens and since you're outdoors, sacrificing some light is worth the tradeoff for getting closer to the action.

If you're not shooting a lot of sports, a good flash is an often overlooked option.

Oh, and don't forget a properly-sized camera bag for all of that goodness. Make sure you buy one that can hold at least one more lens than you plan on buying (since you'll inevitably buy more down the road).

8. KG

KG Active Member

Thanks. All this info is great. I may be taking the plunge this weekend, so wish me luck.

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I'm late, as usual, but I'll chip in. I've got the D40x (the 10.1MP model) and I like it. I haven't played with it enough, as I had problems setting it to catch the eclipse last night (my fault, not the camera's). I've got two lenses--an 18-55 and a zoom.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Nikon or Canon. I researched them both and they were very close. I just went with the Nikon because I always wanted one.

10. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

KG,

Check your PMs.

SG

11. Have a couple lens questions for all you professionals out there.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel 350D which I use to do mostly landscape and architecture photos. The camera came with a Sigma Zoom 28-105mm lens, which has been fantastic.

But I want to start doing some more macro stuff, and this lens has some limits. I also find it has limited long-range capabilities (obviously), though not terrible, since the camera is 8 mega pixels, so I usually crop and it looks ok. But I'd like crisper shots from distances.

To my questions:

1) Will a 70-300mm satisfy distances?
    2) What should I do about macro? Is 28mm the best I can do? I did a little checking and saw an 8mm fisheye lens, but I don't want fisheye.
    3) I was looking at a 30mm, but if I already have a 28-105mm, the 30mm isn't going to help me, is it?

I think that's it for now! Thanks so much!

12. KG

KG Active Member

I had all but given up on getting a camera for right now, but on a whim the hubby and I went to a community yard sale, and I think I found a great deal. Here's what I got:

Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Canon Speedlite 420EX Flash

Lenses
    18-55mm Canon lens
    70-300mm Quantaray lens

Filters
    Tiffen 58 to 64 step up ring
    Tiffen 58mm +4
    Tiffen 58mm +2
    Tiffen 58mm +1
    Tiffen 62mm star 6pt 2mm
    Hoya 58mm uv (pitch .75)
    Hoya Cir-Polarizing 58mm (pitch .75)
    Hoya Cir-Polarizing 62.0s
    Expoimaging expodisc white balance filter 77mm

Other Stuff
    Giotto Air Rocket Blaster
    Tamrac Expedition 3 Backpack
    Slik Able 300 DX Tripod
    Bogen (Manfrotto) Lightweight Monopod

I got all of this for $400. I looked around the net and figured (if new) it was about $2K worth of stuff, so I'm satisfied with what I paid. Now I just have to figure out what all the above is for and how to use it. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted