1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need beach reading suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sort of.
    Her sleazy cousin Vinnie is a bail bondsman. He sends Stephanie out to find people who blow off court and shit hits the fan.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Vinnie also likes having sex with animals.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Does he know Vinnie from Robert Parker? Because that would be cool.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Speaking of Robert Parker ... I picked up "Double Play" for like $5 at Walgreens. Historical fiction about a flawed-character cop/bodyguard assigned to Jackie Robinson in 1947. It was "light," for sure. Very easy to read, finished it in a day or two.

But if you've ever read and liked anything else by Parker ... you'll probably hate it. Worth exactly what I paid. He air-mailed that one in.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I always recommend the Harry Potter books to those who haven't read them. Quality, quality writing and very engaging stories.

Although I suppose that would make me a child in the eyes of the tread starter. ::)

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No ... only in the eyes of spnited.

Oh ... wait ...

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I love his Spenser novels. The Jesse Stone novels, and the ones he was writing so Helen Hunt could try to make movies out of them ... not so much.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Never read a Potter book. That's on my list, right after I finish reading "Big Game Small World: A Basketball Adventure" by Alexander Wolff. So far, it's pretty good.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I will not refer to anyone who reads Harry Potter books as childish. I will, however, tell you the following story:
    My niece, soon to be 17, was a Potter junkie from the beginning. When the last one came out she said "I'll read it becuase I have to finish the series but I really outgrew that stuff two years ago."

She and her mother are now big Janet Evanovich fans.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He pretty much does that these days.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You could pick up one of Stephen King's novella collections. Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight, etc.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Good call, Doc

"The Body" and "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption " are in there somewhere (Diferent Seasons, I think?) and they are two of his best, because they are the most believable.

Draft saved Draft deleted