1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need beach reading suggestions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Apr 21, 2008.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Headed to the beach this weekend and need a good book to keep my mind off all the alcohol.

Criteria:
    1.) Must be short. I could probably spend 8-10 hours total reading Saturday and Sunday.

2.) Nothing heavy. I'm in the middle of a couple of Korean War selections (professional reading), and I certainly don't want anything that tough to slog through.

3.) Sports related is a plus, although I'm a fan of a good murder mystery or spy thriller every now and again. Not too much on sci-fi, though.

Any suggestions.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. The ones with numbers. Better to start with One for the Money, but I Think they do enough explaining that you could pick it up anywhere.

3. three_bags_full

Will I need testosterone injections when I finish?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, TBF.

5. imjustagirl

Not to rain on your parade, but I know at least one tough guy on here, let's call him Boderator_1, reads them. As does another semi-prolific poster.

So read them or don't. But don't act like a book makes you a girl. It's weak and stupid and bullshit.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's a few years old (hell, he's been dead for a few years now), but I just finished Dick Schaap's "Flashing Before My Eyes," his autobiography which he stuck around just long enough to see hit the stores. Amazing stories - you don't see a guy move easily anymore between the sports, political, showbiz and literary worlds the way he did. And he was multiplatforming long before it became a job requirement for anybody on a pro or college beat, from the big time to jobber papers.

7. imjustagirl

Don't agree with me, buckweaver. You'll need testosterone.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You should read the tags on the bathing suits.

10. three_bags_full

Girl power.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'm reading Stephen Hunter's "The Master Sniper." Good WWII thriller so far. This is my second Hunter book (read "Point of Impact" before going to see "Shooter") and both have been high-quality page-turners. I picked this one up cheap in a used-book store.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I concur with your general sentiment, doesn't, ahem, Boderator, also carry a purse?

Just saying. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted