1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need Asheville NC Travel Advise

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Jun 23, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That's it. But it looks like a scorching week in that area. We were hoping to get a little break from the oppressive heat.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Check out the Asheville Bar & Grille.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yeah. Things probably haven't changed much in the last quarter-century.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I thought it was OK, but it was very crowded and not every kitchen shift is going to handle being extra-busy very well all the time.

I tend to like midsize cities in the South, but Asheville didn't do all that much for me. Maybe my expectations were unreasonable given all the positive ink the city gets.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll second this. Went to a game there 10 years ago. As I waited in line for beer, the dude in front of me got drilled in the head by a foul ball. Went down like a sack of wet cement.

Asheville is cool town in a cool area.

6. lono

lono Active Member

Grove Park Inn.

7. fishwrapper

I didn't eat Tupelo Honey Cafe. But, I did enjoy the town. I'm surprised you weren't charmed by it. I thought it was culturally and socially active. Beautiful views and landscapes. I was pretty impressed.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

As I say, maybe I expected too much because of the buildup it gets. I thought the "hippie cool" quotient was higher in Burlington, Flagstaff and Ithaca -- all smaller towns than Asheville.

9. fishwrapper

I see you point. I suppose I just can't take too much "smaller."

10. Go to the Orange Peel. Asheville is one of the most underrated indie music locations in the country. I still don't understand why, aside from the "college town" thing, why so many sweet bands play that place.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all ideas. Cosmo - Fairfield Inn looks perfect for location by airport.

Appears to be the capital of brew pubs. Hope I can squeeze a few in .

Buck - what street is the Ashville grill on ? - I can't seem to find.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Jack of the Wood is pretty cool, the Barley's there has a great selection of the local stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted