1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need another book full of pithy platitudes from dead (or dying) people?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. The ad hominem in this thread is in the red.

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Way to add nothing to the discussion.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

His ego is out of control? He acts superior to everyone around him? He talks down to callers on his radio show? He makes shit up and then acts like it's no big deal? He's on a pulpit with Oprah telling the rest of us how to live our lives?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

I'm not going to defend Albom.
    I'm just asking what makes him a douche and what makes some other narcissistic egomaniac a great guy.

5. Bubbler

Is that what we're having? A discussion?

Funny. I thought it was just you going on a one-man, character-assassination trolling operation about someone who has virtually nothing to do with the topic at hand.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

Illustrating a point.
    Whitman took it in that direction.
    I don't care either way - he's just a writer for a declining men's magazine.
    I do hope you'll live, though.

7. Bubbler

I'm looking at the thread and I'm pretty sure its you that proud up Chris Jones first. Own your trolling.

For the record? I like Chris Jones. He's a good writer. Never met him, but seems like a good guy, even if I don't agree with each and every one of his world views.

But my Earth doesn't turn on his, or another writer's, axis. The hero worship for him that once was part of the scene here was over the top. I can recall jumping into a thread about Teh Jones and writing how silly it was to call him that. I would also agree with Whitman that he's over-sensitive and that makes him an easy target.

But it still takes a certain sort of trolling asshole to do the targeting in the first place. And if the hero worship for Jones here was over-the-top, then the folks on the other side of the coin that represented the backlash were 10 times worse.

I don't believe in all of the supposed cabals and privileged citizen talk you hear from the conspiracy-minded folks here past and present, but I believe 100 percent there was a group of four or five members here who creamed their pants every time they got a chance to bully Jones.

Ad hominem attacks. You know? Like the one you did here.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

Hey, there's the door.
    Your approval or endorsement is not something I seek.
    I suspect people bullied Jones and his friends because it was always great fun to see them react.

9. Bubbler

I ain't going anywhere and your approval or endorsement is sure as hell not anything I'd want nor give to you.

All right then. If you're comfortable with being a trolling, bullying asshole, so be it, just own it. Don't bother with the passive-aggressive shit or even the ad hominem attacks, just declare to the world that you get off on being an internet bully.

Oh wait ... you kinda just did.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

Bullied no one.
    In fact, shared private correspondence with Mr. Jones here that was cordial and professional.
    My real problem is that I take none of this shit seriously, as I have a life.
    Now, go lecture somebody else.
    I tire of your mother hen act.

11. Bubbler

Truth is, given that I too have a life, I don't take anything here that seriously either. That's why I'm still here when others got tired of it and left.

But it's just like a bully to cry and whine when called on their bullshit. You can call it a lecture or a mother hen act if you like, I'd prefer calling a spade a spade.

And with that, I will stop, because tempting though it might be, I don't want to cross the line and start bullying you. My point's been made and half the problem with this place is that too many people can't just leave it at that and walk away.

If you want to get the last word/dig in? Have at it. Frankly I could give two shits about what would spew forth.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone would spend their time trolling, just seems lame.

Draft saved Draft deleted