1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need an opinion on column calling out assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I was wondering the same thing.

I'm in the "don't publish it, but do send it to coach, AD, state association" boat.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I've seen some amazing coaches vs. media columns. But columns that involve a media sideshow are like everything else -- you have to decide if it's truly news.

3. The notion that "nobody cares about us" is rather belied by the nine million blogs dedicated to "watchdogging" various newspapers and writers. To hell with the little tinpot dictators on the sidelines. Public embarrassment brings change. Roast them on a spit.

4. silentbob

silentbob Member

If you're obstructing a coach's view, you're the problem. Not the coach.

Back when I covered preps, I always looked at being on the sidelines as a luxury. The school has the right to ship you back to the press box, and after this column is published, that might be what happens to you. Problem solved for everyone.

Besides, dont be offended if a coach yells at you. That's how coaches communicate, especially on game night. If they yell at you, big deal. You don't have a story unless they shove or hit you.

If I were you, I'd go out to the school a day or two before the game and just ask the coaches: Where can I stand where I'm not in your way? They'll appreciate that, and you'll know the rules going in.

5. Coaches at every level should grow the fuck up.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Until they are men? And 40?

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

What would you do if a coach walked into the press box and stood in your line of vision?

8. Don't run it. Waste of space.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Reading this, I have one important question -- if the same thing happened just a few weeks ago, and you knew these coaches were douchebags with territorial issues, why didn't you just stand on the other sideline?

Draft saved Draft deleted