1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need an opinion on column calling out assistant coaches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Nov 28, 2007.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

i

2. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Need an opinion on column calling out ass. coach

No matter how valid your gripe, the only reader who might remotely care that these guys were acting like dicksnorts towards you is your own mother.

Everyone else wants to read about the kids in the game.

Therefore, by definition the column is a waste of space.

I'm glad you stayed out of their hairs, though.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Re: Need an opinion on column calling out ass. coach

I asked my mom and she said that even she doesn't care. :)

4. Re: Need an opinion on column calling out ass. coach

Sorry, but the assistant coaches -- please change the header on this thread so that it no longer talks about "ass. coaches." Thanks. -- made PUBLIC jackalopes of themselves in the performance of their jobs. Definitely worth a column.
    I'd tweak that "staying out of their hairs" line, though.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Honestly, I would simply send that to the AD, the principal and the superintendent at the other school and say. "He's what I could have written."

PS: Do you know how hard it is to be living in upstate New York near East GREEN-wich.

I always default to the Rhode Island pronounciation, because I grew up in Westerly.

6. I don't think I'd run this. It sounds whiny. As lono mentioned, people don't care about how we do our jobs.

So they were shitheads -- so what? You were allowed to be there, and they had no authority to boot you out. It was unpleasant, but you dealt with it and got the information for your story. Moreover, the team isn't one you cover, or that people in your coverage area would presumably care about, so it doesn't have much news value. It's not as if they were threatening to call the cops on the opponent.

I would, however, send this in letter form to the "classy" head coach and athletic director of the other school, plus cc it to the state high school association. I'd think they'd get the assistants to understand this behavior isn't to be tolerated. You'll be helping future reporters.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

ok ... wait a sec ... am i missing something?

it is more important for assistant coaches to see the game than let us do our job

doesn't excuse their behavior, but come on, if you're going to cover a game from the sidelines, first rule is that you get out of everybody's way

i'm not philosophically against this kind of piece, but in this case you sound petty and whiny

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Send that as a complaint to the AD or the superintendent. Don't run it as a column.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The 'ass. coaches' behavior walks right up to the line of being column-worthy.

I think you can only do these kinds of columns every so often, and you really have to pick your spots.

For me, the most compelling part of the column was that the coaches got penalized. I think I would've hooked the column on that... then somewhere near the end mention the stuff with the media.

Were they using foul language? Flipping anybody off?

Unfortunately with these kinds of columns, unless you paint a very clear picture, the public will often side with the team-- not the media.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you are outside the 25s, that's your turf and have a legitimate gripe. If you are inside the 25s, its theirs and you have no room to complain -- so says the NHSF, which follows the NCAA on this...
    Take your stats outside the 25...

Rule 1-2-4-a: On each side of the field, a team area in back of the limit line and between the 25-yard lines shall be marked for the exclusive use of substitutes, trainers and other persons affiliated with the team. The front of the coaching box shall be marked with a solid line six feet outside the sideline between the 25-yard lines.

11. If nothing happened on the sideline that affected the game -- a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, an ejection, whatever -- forget the column. If there was an incident, that's the column, and you can work in the coaches' ill treatment of the media there.

Turn the column into a letter, and send copies to the head coach, AD, principal, superintendent, chairman of the school board and the high school association executive who works with the media. Don't be inflammatory or make excuses for the coaches. You're both professionals who have to share the sidelines, and your goal is to prevent a third occurrence, not to call out the coaches. And believe me, if you go after them in an "outsider" newspaper, they'll rally the locals against you anyway.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'll disagree with Lugnuts. Never, ever run a column such as this. Why? Who benefits? You are writing slop that no one wants to read, except maybe anti-fanboys. Please, please, please do not publish this, for your sake.

Draft saved Draft deleted