1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need advice: Anyone ever been to India?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Claws for Concern, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I am a few days away from leaving on a jet plane for Delhi, India. After arriving there two days after leaving Los Angeles, I will be there one week. I am trailing a group of college students who are there (and have been there since Jan. 3) for a class studying religious diversity in India.

I've been to Europe, but that is the extent of my foreign travel. India is a whole different kind of trip and experience for me. Aside from not drinking the water, avoiding the street vendor food, salads, monkeys and dogs, wearing sunscreen and plenty of mosquito repellent, I'm curious to know what advice the SportsJournalists.com community can offer me.

I've already had my shots for the trip -- tetanus, typhoid, polio, hepatitis A -- pills for malaria and I have a visa (in addition to my passport) all set.

Any thoughts?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

George Costanza didn't trust the bathrooms. But he might have gotten some faulty advice.

I hope that helps.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The Seinfeld episode in India (and flashbacks) was on last night and I got a few laughs out of it.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There probably won't be any hockey games for you to take in. But India TODAY might have the CSF scores.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

They still have the plague. Can you believe it?

One of the best episodes.

But no, never been to India.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Do a story on The Great Khali while you're over there.

And tell them that The Baron sent you :D

7. LeoDrummond

LeoDrummond New Member

Say that you're from Union Carbide.

Pack condensed milk with pictures of cows on the side.

Ask where the nearest McDonald's is.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So that's where I saw it. I couldn't remember if I watched it on television or on my DVD. Thanks.

And it was an amazing episode, especially with FDR -- Franklin Delano Romanowski.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My former pastor is from India.

That's about the extent of what I have to offer, though. :D

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Go take a look at Assembly Hall in Bloomington.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

I had a buddy that worked in India for a number of years.

His one thing to bring: Patience

He tells a story of going on a safari-type trip on which he had an Indian guide.
    They are out in the middle of nowhere, or what passes for it in India, night is falling, and he discovers the batteries in his guide-provided flashlight are dead.
    Concerned, he tells his guide that he has no light.
    The guide's reply (and you have to affect an Indian accent and the intent of the guide, which was to alleviate his guests embarrassment: "No worry, sir. My batteries, too, are dead."

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Tell them my interest rate is too high and you want to speak to a supervisor on my behalf.

Draft saved Draft deleted