1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need a vacation recommendation

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by three_bags_full, Feb 6, 2016.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Thanks for the congratulations. It's a good thing, yes, but it absolutely didn't fit into the timeline I'd built. But, a very close personal mentor called and said he needed me, so ... I'll be in Honduras in a few months.

San Diego is sounding better and better.

2. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

The wife and I are spending a week at Imperial Beach just south of San Diego in July. Was this a bad decision on my part?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

San Diego temperature today: 81. Decision made.

We're taking our oldest -- 7 -- to Disney World in a week. Three days there, then three in Jacksonville to catch up with old friends. And lose about a dozen golf balls on a course to be named later.

4. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Tee it up at Hyde Park in Jacksonville. I played it for $18 last summer thanks to a Golfnow.com special. They used to play the Jacksonville Open there in the 1950s. It's a little rough around the edges but Ben Hogan once made an 8 on a par 3 there, so it's got history. Donald Ross layout.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Silver Dollar City!

OK, kidding, especially since you're deploying for a year. Wherever you go, it'll be awesome.

6. three_bags_full

These are all awesome suggestions, and I appreciate everyone's input.

After a little more discussion tonight, another course of action has been discussed. We'll call it the, "Meat and Potatoes" itinerary.

Day 1: Drive to Lincoln
    Speed Museum

Day 2:
    Children's Museum
    State Capitol
    Find a park to ride bikes, weather permitting
    Big goddam steak

Day 3:
    Drive to Omaha
    Zoo
    Children's Museum
    Slab O' meat the size of your fucking head

Day 4:
    Escape Games (sounds cool as shit)
    Indoor water park
    Big fucking steak

Day 5:
    Drive to Des Moines
    First-round NCAA game

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Holy cow, after all the discussion of San Diego, I never would have predicted IOWA.

At least the political clowns have now cleared out for you. Have a great time!

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I played several courses when I lived there in 2008-09, but I couldn't name them now.

9. three_bags_full

Well, we haven't made a decision, yet. We just asked ourselves do we REALLY want to spend all that money, when we could probably have a decent time within driving distance?

We liked the idea of seeing the quirky museums (there's a roller skating museum in either Lincoln or Omaha) and other activities, etc.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In Omaha, go to the Durham Museum. Pretty damn cool in an old railway station, kids should enjoy it, too. Went to a banquet there once that was fabulous.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Are you fasting on Day 5? Or did you block that evening off for a bypass?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Let me know if it changes. I had Minnesota in the SJ.com pool.

Draft saved Draft deleted