1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need a new kidney? You could have a longer wait

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Feb 9, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alleged ringleader of kidney transplant ring sent back to India

February 9, 2008

By YUVRAJ ACHARYA
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

KATMANDU, Nepal -- The alleged leader of a syndicate accused of illegally removing hundreds of kidneys, sometimes from poor laborers held at gunpoint, was deported from Nepal to India on Saturday, officials said.

Nepalese authorities handed over Amit Kumar to Indian officials who had been seeking his extradition since he was arrested Thursday at a jungle resort in neighboring Nepal, said Upendra Aryal, a top police officer in Nepal's capital city of Katmandu.

Authorities had been searching for Kumar since last month when he fled after police said they broke up the kidney transplant racket they claimed he ran from an upscale New Delhi suburb.

Police were also investigating whether Kumar was involved in illegal kidney transplants in Nepal, Aryal said.

Indian authorities declined to comment on the case Saturday.

Police in India have said Kumar headed an illegal organ transplant ring based in the New Delhi suburb of Gurgaon. Authorities believe his group sold up to 500 kidneys to clients who traveled to India from around the world in the past nine years.

Police said they raided the operation's main clinic in Gurgaon in January and broke up the ring, which officials claim spanned at least five Indian states and involved at least four doctors, several hospitals, two dozen nurses and paramedics, as well as a car outfitted as a laboratory.

Subsequent raids allegedly uncovered a kidney transplant waiting list with 48 names.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not me. When I need a new kidney, I drug my subject, place him/her in ice, take the kidney and leave the poor bastard there in the hotel room.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, i'm worried more about my liver.

4. The magic of the marketplace!
    (Tom Sowell's already sent $1000 to the defense fund.)

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Hold it right there and I won't kill you.
    What? Why? Oh my God! Here's my wallet.
    Wallet? I'm taking your kidney.

I could only imagine that exchange.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That was a wonderful Law & Order episode.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

ripped straight from the headlines!

8. Actually, they left him in the park.
    "Grand theft kidney" (Mike Logan).

Draft saved Draft deleted