1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need a little help from NYCers and those who fly often

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 10, 2007.

1. OK here's the deal:
    In May, my wife and I celebrate our 10 year anniversary. It will also be about six months after the birth of baby No. 3.
    Needless to say we will be ready for some relaxation.
    In years past I have done nice things for the anniversary. Two years ago I sent her on a citywide scavenger hunt that ended at a jewelry store where she picked up a necklace adorned with our kids birthstones.
    Anyway,
    In May, I plan to surprise her with a weekend trip to NYC.
    What I would like to do is fly in Friday night, stay somewhere nice, allow her to do some shopping and see a show ... and of course eat!

What I need are some tips:
    I have only flown a handful of times. I prefer to drive.
    When is the best time to book flights? How far in advance can I book?
    Where should I stay? I would like to stay somewhere near good places for her to (clothes) shop.
    What is a good show to see? I have never been. Opera? Broadway? What else is there? How do I go about getting tickets?

Most importantly ... where to eat?
    I want authentic NYC places. No chains for dinner. My wife likes Italian (Olive Garden-style Italian). Me? I can eat anywhere. I need a nice place to eat. How far in advance can I make reservations?

Just for the hell of it, I was thinking about Sparks Steakhouse, just to see where Paul Castellano (sp?) was shot.

Any help you NYCers can provide would be a big help.

I've been to NYC twice before, but just for short visits. My wife has never been.

Thanks

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We stayed at the Affinia 50 during Memorial Day weekend. It was great. Half a block from the Waldorf-Astoria, right down the street from St. Patrick's and 30 Rock. A couple of blocks from PJ Clark's and The Press Box.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Depending upon the Broadway show that you would like to see determines which aspect of your trip is the most difficult to ascertain. Look into the tickets and which dates are open, shows often fill up fast.

Flights, I believe, are fairly cheap 3 or 4-months in advance.

Restaurants are interesting. I don't really do a lot of Italian in the City (Living in North Jersey, I don't need to). I can suggest some a Korean place in K-Town and maybe some Chinese places.

4. I don't even know which shows are playing or what is popular....

Never had Korean ....

I love Chinese, my wife though .. not so much.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This thread had some great info I plan to use this month ...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/34636/

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Well, it'd be easier to recommend a show if you could say what kinds of movies/tv shows your wife likes.

A very popular show right now is "Wicked," a musical based on the rivalry between the good witch and the bad witch of the Wizard of Oz, as they grow up in the pre-Dorothy days.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On a plane to Chicago then Albany.

First time flying Southwest in a while. The head flight attendant has comedy chops though I wonder if it's scripted; almost too good not to be.

Wearing an N95 mask. Most on the plane are masked.

15 years ago we only got pissed about having to take off our shoes at check-in.

OscarMadison and TigerVols like this.
  8. Woody Long

Woody Long Well-Known Member

If possible, fly into Newark and take NJ Transit to Penn Station to get into Manhattan.

There aren't going to be any cheap places to stay that aren't awful, but given your interests, a hotel in midtown is what you're looking for. I haven't stayed at a hotel in Manhattan in 12-plus years, so I don't really have a lot of knowledge, but if there's a beat writer on here who visits somewhat frequently, they might have some insight. Midtown provides an easy walk to Broadway and shopping on Fifth Avenue and access to the Subway to get you anywhere else you'd like to go, including restaurants and Manhattan's Little Italy.

As far as restaurants go, I've always enjoyed La Mela on Mulberry Street in Little Italy, Keen's Chophouse on 38th for steaks, Katz's Deli, and McSorely's Old House at Home on East 7th. For pizza, Lombardi's on Spring Street or John's on Bleecker. Late night, I'm a fan of the Halal carts.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

If saving money is a concern, fly Spirit if you can. Just flew this weekend, 5-10% masked on plane.

Woody Long likes this.
  10. Songbird

It's pricey but the Conrad downtown is a great hotel and has the best showers in New York City, if not America.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Why resurrect a 15-year-old thread for this?

2muchcoffeeman and SFIND like this.
  12. Songbird

Don't like it then don't click on it.

OscarMadison, TigerVols and JC like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted