1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Need a date? Get milk.....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 30, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Courtney French
    Special to the Star

LONDON– A group of dairy farmers are putting single's ads on milk cartons in the hopes of finding Mr. or Mrs. Right in the far-flung countryside of Wales.

"My family thinks I'm nuts," says 30-year-old farmer Iwan Jones, who hasn't had a date in a year. "My friends think it's hilarious – but everyone's taking it with a light-hearted attitude."

Three men and two women appear in the ads, which feature a photo with the heading, "Fancy a farmer?" The address for a dating website, pishynwales.com., is also on the stickers.

Since the ads appeared this month, the site has received 2,500 hits, or about 10 times the usual daily traffic, says Aran Jones, who runs the non-profit operation.

The ads are also a way of highlighting the low points of a farmer's hard-scrabble existence. Farmers say they often feel isolated among the rolling hills.

"It's a beautiful environment, but in terms of actually trying to meet somebody it's not particularly easy – especially when you have to wake up at 5 o'clock in the morning to milk cows," says the co-operative's director Richard Kerr, who is happily married.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Well, it beats having to "date" that special Holstein.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Someone's poor mum is going to see their kid on the side of a milk carton and immediately call the missing persons bureau.

I guess this wouldn't work in Canada, because the picture would be distorted depending on how full the bag is.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hey, we have CARTONS as well. But for families, the milk bag is the most popular

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted