1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska small daily

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Charlie_Hustle, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Charlie_Hustle

Charlie_Hustle New Member

Just saw this on jjobs ...

Company: Daily newspaper
    Position: Sports reporter +
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: March 12, 2011
    Job ID: 639483

Description:
    The Columbus Telegram, a small Midwest daily, is seeking a sports reporter who has page design/editing skills/interests and some photo abilities. We are a locally focused sports operation. The successful candidate will be a well-organized, self-starter who is broadly versed in all areas of prep sports coverage. On the page-design side, you will use Quark Xpress and Photoshop. A degree in journalism is desirable but not mandatory. Experience could be substituted. The small city location of this position is ideal for its relaxed lifestyle. Omaha and Lincoln are within easy reach. A reliable vehicle, insurance and a valid driver's license are required. As part of Lee Enterprises, The Columbus Telegram offers competitive compensation and a full benefits package along with a professional and comfortable work environment focusing on growth opportunities for their employees. To learn more about our company or to apply, please log onto www.columbustelegram.com and click on 'Services' and then 'Employment' for a listing of our open positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with salary history. Please e-mail 3-4 work samples to jdean@columbustelegram.com (PDFs are best). We are a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check prior to commencing employment. EOE.

2. mjschaefer

mjschaefer New Member

This is my job. I'm leaving Feb. 20, after state wrestling.

The gig isn't bad. The sports editor is young and easy to work with. The work schedule is flexible to a point.

There are opportunities to cover the Nebraska Cornhuskers. I made it to Memorial Stadium for three games. In the spring, the Telegram will try to get to as many Nebraska and Creighton games as possible, as there are a few are kids on each team.

It is a lot of prep coverage with other things mixed in now and then. The sports action is pretty average. Basketball season was rough this year, but football/volleyball was really good. Baseball and soccer provide enjoyable spring coverage.

Columbus is a decent place to live. Living costs won't be real high and beer is dirt cheap and plentiful.

Feel free to private message me with any questions.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I know the editor and he is good people. Could be a very nice stop for someone looking to break in.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Name of the paper and city really need to be in the thread title.

/fashionpolice

5. Sir Sid

Sir Sid Member

While I know this isn't the case for everywhere, I know of one person who via a couple steps in between went from C-bus to Lincoln.
    Not a bad first job. Plus you really aren't that far from Omaha.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Columbus isn't the worst city in Nebraska in which to live.

There are better — far better — but it's certainly not bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted