1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska athletics/recruiting reporter, Lincoln Journal Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 15, 2017.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star is seeking a full-time, digital-minded and multi-dimensional reporter to cover Nebraska athletics and recruiting.

The position will center around two areas: Coverage of football and basketball recruiting at the Nebraska high school level, and the handling of the Nebraska baseball beat. This person also will pitch in to help our staff with coverage of other Husker sports, including wrestling and football. The recruiting portion of the job will require the reporter to attend and cover some high school games and events, as well as help with Nebraska football recruiting.

An active digital presence is a must. The ideal candidate will produce video reports, be deft at social media, be comfortable in front of a camera, and provide digital ideas on a regular basis. We want this person to be among our leaders in advancing the Journal Star’s digital push.

This position has a lot of range, so versatility and the ability to bounce around topics and sports without flinching is essential. The ideal candidate will possess excellent reporting and writing skills, be able to succeed under the pressures of deadline, and display an ability to break news, and a passion for breaking it. The right person for the job will be skilled in building a strong network of coaches, schools and other sources.

The Journal Star offers an excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, a 401(k) plan and paid time off. All applicants considered for employment must pass a post-offer drug screen and background check.

Applicants must apply online at journalstar.com/workhere. An attached resume and cover letter are required.

Career Opportunities at Lee

Ton of openings here of late. Anyone know what's going on?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

My guess is maybe they're finally authorizing some spots to be filled? Just a guess.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

IIRC, this is a spot that I was told last year might be opening at this time as they were expecting a couple of retirements on their staff, including the prep reporter position. My family was considering at one time a move up there, and I certainly was looking at this one.

Draft saved Draft deleted