1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska AD out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Oct 15, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Perlman just opened up the opportunity for the board of regents to fire him. How dumb can this damn university and its people be?!?

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not been approached? So those people calling him in the middle of the night to cuss him out didn't count? :D

------------

MU,

I wouldn't put money on Turner Gill. He doesn't have nearly enough experience to be handed the keys to the athletic department's money-making machine.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

It only took 35 minutes for the first Bob Davie reference. That's what I get for taking the over....

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

But that's also part of the advantage of hiring the young former stud to come back. If it doesn't crash and burn -- not sure it could get any worse -- they're not going to have to buy out a $3m a year contract. He's going to be loved, but he's also going to be relatively cheap.
    And as far as the experience, I'm pretty sure he spent nearly 20 years at Nebraska between coaching and playing. He was part of three national championships and helped that assclown Eric Crouch win a Heisman.
    He'd be better than a hell of a lot of candidates.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Boosters equals money.
    Money equals influence.
    Influence hires and fires.

Is something not simple about that formula?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Pederson making a run at hiring Nutt was the first sign he'd be fired before too long.

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I've got an inside tip that Dennis Franchione might be available.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

Shit, I would have known that, too, had I an extra 1200 bucks layin' around.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I can absolutely see Turner Gill getting this gig. I can also see him building a staff that is heavy on Osborne-era assistants or former players who are now in coaching.

An inexperienced coach at a program like this can work if he hires a really good recruiter and two top-notch coordinators.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

Could you see Eric Crouch as the recruiting coordinator?

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Good lord, these speculations would make the good ole boy network ridiculous in Nebraska.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

what's really pathetic is the amount of Pitt crying to bring this guy back. Why? Because he didnt piss on enough of the school's identity? Because he didnt displace enough teams the first time? He pulled the same shit at Pitt that he did at Nebraska. But because we're dealing with the pride of a small public school and not one thats the pride and joy of the state it didnt make as much of a dent. Plus the Pittsburgh media all fed at the trough of his public relations spin bullshit. The man's a phony. An arrogant phony. I said it about him on the college football thread Saturday.

People talk about "oh, he did such a great job at Pitt.' Oh yeah? Go to a Pitt game and look at all of the empty seats. Then go look at how little money is in the Athletic department's budget. Either Pederson's replacement screwed up A LOT of stuff in four years (he didnt) or Steve wasnt all that great to begin with. Steve had short-term solutions for long-term problems. As the fanbase and booster club continued to age and die, Steve gave them all the finger and went after corporations instead of new blood for the booster club. When Steve needed money he changed logos, uniforms and colors instead of soliciting donations. Why? Because he knew he was too shitty with public relations to solicit donations.

Fuck him. I hope he rots. I actually dislike him more than Wlat. You can fire a crap football coach. It takes a little more to fix the identity crisis that the University of Pittsburgh has faced ever since that smirking asshat galloped into town.

Draft saved Draft deleted