1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska AD Bill Moos is out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That was an interesting story but very one-sided. It is still a bit head scratching that this happened and how it happened and you'd have to think there were ways to save that program but that was mostly a 10-year anniversary bash UNO piece from the people most pissed off about it. Lots of talk, even from the coaches, from people who had no idea what went on with this decision.

I know they got the old chancellor to say some stuff and Alberts declined to speak, so there's only so much you can do, but it didn't even address the main questions on why until the third part and even then didn't really answer them. I guess it was an oral history thing so maybe that wasn't the point, but still. Really would be curious to hear about something like men's soccer being added (women's soccer was another DII power there at the time). Was it because soccer is more popular overall and it helped with facilities? Lots of moving parts to them canning their most successful program, that's for sure.

After reading it, got to think Alberts told them like that, although still could have been handled better, because the World Herald had it and it was going to be published and to get ahead of it. Also, as was very much implied in there, Denney was the man at UNO and was a big deal in Omaha. There is more to his relationship with Alberts than I tried to make peace with him and be nice but he just wouldn't have it.

One fascinating side note was the discussions with Creighton. That would have been something.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I just went with the first one I could find, but I remember reading another story when it went down that covered a lot of the same ground.

From what I could find elsewhere, a big factor was UNO needed to field men’s teams in more than 50 percent of the sports the Summit League offered, and wrestling wasn’t one of them. So they actually added men’s golf and soccer at the same time they ditched wrestling and football.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I saw the DI and Summit League lining up as a piece of all of this. As we've said, could have been handled a million times better and I'm sure there was a way to save wrestling but there was a method to that school's madness. Another point and it actually was mildly alluded to in this, but did the UNO wrestling people even want to go DI? No way the school would have gone DI in everything but wrestling. That would make no sense. That could be a big factor too. Although with the Creighton talks, if those really happened, that wouldn't make sense that that was a point of contention either unless it was just an act of desperation at that point.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

UNO hockey has really been a success story, and despite his methods, Alberts has to have a lot of credit for that program's positive direction. Not only have they continued to draw very good crowds, he got an on-campus arena built and managed to navigate their way into the best possible league (the NCHC) when college hockey's game of musical chairs from about eight years ago settled. During the pandemic, the NCHC played the first half of its league season in a bubble format at UNO's arena, leveraging the University of Nebraska's medical know-how, and it was a tremendous success.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would assume Alberts has grown as a person and a professional in a decade’s time and in a candid moment would say that he would handle things different if he could go back and do it over, even if he ultimately came to the same conclusion. Still, if I’m the Nebraska wrestling coach (who was an athlete at UNO and got quoted in the FloWrestling story) I’d watch my back.

Draft saved Draft deleted