1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nebraska AD Bill Moos is out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Just keep his ass up there and way the hell away from here.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

UNO had good football when it was DII in the old North Central Conference with UND, NDSU, SDSU, USD, Morningside, Augustana, etc. But that's been at least 25 years, probably more.

Marlin Briscoe played there.

maumann and Liut like this.
  3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I covered UNO's final football game. Cannot remember the head coach's name, but I took some sideline photographs of him. Those sure came in handy when it was announced the program was dead.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Who, Moos?

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

UNO was good when Marlin Briscoe was there. I remember watching Briscoe was playing there. I remember Briscoe playing quarterback witht he Broncos his rookie year. That was 53 years ago (sigh).

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Gone a Moos
    Gone a Moos
    Can you do the fandaygo?

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Why would wrestling be candidate to be dropped? I would think it is cheap and in place on the Nebraska/Iowa border a place where a school could live happily on kids not recruited by Big 10 schools.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

There is no female equivalent so for Title IX purposes it's an easy thing to chop.

9. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Wrestling is a pretty common sport to be axed, right? Not tons of those programs filling the nation any more. While you would think it would still fit with the school, there had to be a reason for it, whether Title IX things as wicked said, or more financial or aligning with the grow goals or whatever. I mean, that program was a powerhouse. It won eight or nine national championships and dominated DII in the 2000s. At least regionally it brought quite a bit of recognition to the school. I imagine that didn't matter tons long term with the DI and growth aspirations. Maybe it just cost too much to expand that sport to Division I. I don't know. It did make a lot of people scratch their heads at the time.

10. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Also, I don't think anyone then or now can underestimate how much hockey plays are role in their whole AD focus. It's kind of a weird place to decide to go all in on hockey and it can't be cheap. It has given them some notice and helped them get their own facilities, but it is no doubt the center of that AD, then and now. Can't be a lot of leftovers for anything else. With a program like that at a school like that.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dropping wrestling was a big deal for that school, and Trev Alberts informed his coach with a phone call an hour after he’d won another Division II national title.

Destruction Of A Dynasty: The Bombshell That Rocked UNO Wrestling - FloWrestling

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm thinking that came from a level or two above Trev Alberts. It could've been handled a helluva lot better, tho.

Draft saved Draft deleted