1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nearly Nirvana

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tom Petty, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

http://poptarts.com/

2. lono

lono Active Member

Well, frost my tarts, Tomas!

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Speaking of Nirvana, I was having this debate with friends the other day -- what if Dave Grohl had committed suicide instead of Kurt Cobain? How would the world of music be different? Would Nirvana have continued on with a replacement for Dave Grohl? If they had stayed together, what would their status be in the music world today -- similar to Pearl Jam, still revered, or lost their luster? Or would Nirvana have broken up anyway, with Kurt Cobain going on to form the equivilent of Foo Fighters? What would have become of Courtney Love?

There's an alternate universe where Dave Grohl is dead and Kurt Cobain is alive.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

fixed

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

They would have been bigger than the Beatles. And Elvis. Combined.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Seriously, though, I think Cobain would have been thrown into a deep depression and would have killed himself.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fucking. solid.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Where's the bassist these days, anyway?

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Hair Club for Men

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He was heavily involved with the Democratic party in Washington. Course that was a few years ago.

11. joe

joe Active Member

I think maybe Nirvana had run its course by the time Cobain killed himself. Maybe he knew that nothing he or they did later could match the transcendent event that was "Nevermind," and nothing they could do would be as good as "In Utero" or the unplugged album.

Or maybe they would have continued to evolve -- and instead of that he took the easy way out.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Nearly Nirvana.

What is Alice in Chains, Alex?

Draft saved Draft deleted