1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Near-fight between reporter, radio guy at Pistons-Magic game?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, May 11, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Posted this on the playoffs thread, but had a suggestion to bring it over here.

About halfway through Bianchi's column, he includes this line:

So, umm...what the hell?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Does it have anything to do with this?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080507/SPORTS03/80507031/1051

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Did Jerry Greene really write this?

"9. Stuff pooped on your head. (What is that spot, anyway?)"

If so, what a fucking dunce.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That was one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Doubtful. Greene is not O'Neill.

Unpossible. You read Anything Goes everyday. :D

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Uh, I'd like to accuse:

Mr. Greene did it, in the Orlando Sentinel, with the dumb column idea.

The original column:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/columnists/orl-greene0708may07,0,3756510.column

This is the type of foolishness that is unbecoming a columnist at a major paper (though looking at how many columnists Orlando has, maybe all of his other ideas were taken?). It is childish, something a columnist in a small-time, "never been there before" sports town writes.

"Hey fans, let's make fun of the other team's star!!!!!" Wow, how very cool of you.

Albom engaged in this type of idiocy after the Pistons beat the Lakers in 2004, writing a taunting column that even included the phrase "Buh-bye." This is the type of thing TJ Simers does every day, though I will say I don't read Greene regularly, so I'm not sure as to his schtick.

I wonder what the almost-fight was all about. Maybe the radio geek was brandishing a copy? Or maybe it's completely unrelated.

7. Pete Incaviglia

Maybe the Freep News guy was getting into with Greene and the radio guy stepped between?

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Or maybe Greene wasn't involved at all.

Jesus. You can really read something saying person A and person B nearly fought, and just insert person C because you think it makes sense? You don't think Bianchi would have mentioned that?

9. Pete Incaviglia

Well, I start wonder if Bianchi was even there seeing as he doesn't even mention the news guy by name.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Except for the part where he says "those of us in the press room before the game?"

Wow.

11. Pete Incaviglia

I'm not arguing this. I was just throwing out what might have happened, like about three people before me.

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

That Greene column is the worst thing I've ever read. Awful. Putrid.
    I never take apart someone's work on here. If he has a problem, he can IM me and I'd be more than willing to give him my work email address.

Tongue-in-cheek or not:

Holy shit. That's racist, stereotyping balderdash.

Draft saved Draft deleted