1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Neal McCready Rammer Jammered, Yella Hammered off the radio in Alabammer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hammer Pants, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2007/11/mccready_taken_off_the_air.html

Looks like Neal wasn't part of the process.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

"It would be easy to be very bitter and ask all of you not to give your time to the people at WNSP in the future, but that would be petty on my part and I'm going to try to be the bigger person here," he wrote to us journalists.

Nice of him to take the high road, isn't it??? But seriously, isn't this a "DOG BITES MAN!" kind of story?

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

It definitely is. Just thought some who know Neal or are familiar with his work would appreciate the info.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Count me in that category. Thanks for posting it. I meant to direct the "Man Bites Dog" comment at my surprise that Neal would chose to send word of his departure out through the Birmingham News' Alabama beat writer. If a man didn't know any better, he might think Neal was trying to gin up some sympathy through a proxy so that it wouldn't appear so much like sour grapes on his part.

But as Neal clearly indicates, he's being the bigger person here.

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Wow...those comments underneath are priceless. The fanbois sure got a hold of the news.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Worth the trip.

7. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Neal is a good friend and he simply told it like it is. As a frequent guest on the show, I'm thinking twice about appearing again.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He'd come up with good info about 50 percent of the time when I was listening, but he all-too-often rubbed me the wrong way with his arrogance and his outright disrespect for schools, particularly in Mississippi.
    He hated Ole Miss, even though he allegedly attended there or his parents taught there, or something.
    And he just loved to dog-out MState any chance he got.
    Saying coaches paid players in the Magnolia State while not reflecting on any such behavior around the rest of the conference. Little sophomoric jabs like that.
    He worked with a good partner, Taylor, early on around 2000, but Taylor moved to the Carolinas or somewhere and the show was not as interesting (to me).
    Too many commercials, too.
    In my run-ins with him in pressboxes, Neal just always seemed arrogant and too opinionated.
    He and the production crew would cut off callers in a second if the call wasn't going the way they wanted it to.
    Either that, or just never getting hardly any callers on the air, period.
    When it came to talk radio, the hosts did most of the talking on that show.
    Weekly picks segments were weak, weak, and full or unneeded crosstalk.
    I mean, who cares what your producer thinks in the Kentucky vs. Vandy game.
    Make the picks and get more callers on the air.
    (rant over, carry on)

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

There is nothing on earth scarier than an Alabama football fan.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Ummm, you do know that the whole point of programming is to generate revenue, right?

The NERVE of them! The hosts of a talk show were talking?! The people who spend their time preparing to do a radio program everyday were depriving the world of more poignant thoughts from "War Eagle Bob" or Tider Ted"? It almost sounds like they were doing their jobs or something!

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Neal went to Ole Miss. He was a senior when I was a freshman. We were in the same fraternity, though we might have exchanged a total of 10 words that year -- probably because I was a drunken idiot for much of my freshman year.

12. Just like to note that my experiences with Neal have been the complete opposite of the quotation above. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted