1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NE vs. NYG to be simulcast on NFLN, CBS and NBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Patriots’ historic game to be available to all of America, after all
    NEW YORK (AP) — The New England Patriots’ shot at history Saturday night will be available for every household in the country with a television after months of wrangling.
    The game against the New York Giants, in which the Patriots could become the first NFL team to go 16-0 in the regular season, was originally scheduled to be shown only on the NFL Network, which is available in fewer than 40 percent of the nation’s homes with TVs.
    But the league announced Wednesday that the NFL Network feed will be simulcast on NBC and CBS. It’s a major concession by league officials, who repeatedly said they would not show the game anywhere but the NFL Network. The NFL had faced mounting pressure from politicians in recent weeks to make the game available to more viewers.
    This will be the first three-network simulcast in NFL history and the first simulcast of any kind of an NFL game since the first Super Bowl in 1967, when CBS and NBC both televised the first meeting of the champions of the newly merged National Football League and American Football League.
  2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Why CBS and NBC? Why not one and not the other?
  3. markvid

markvid Guest

This makes no sense whatsoever.
    There isn't a shot in hell that both networks will allow another to produce their feed.
    Also, if the NFL Network has any brains, they will not let Bryant Gumbel anywhere near it.
  4. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

It'll be great if the Patriots become the first team to lose a game on three networks at once. That's the kind of history I'm looking for.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why not put it on every channel?? MTV, Cspan, CNN, MSNBC, Lifetime, Oxygen, all the home shopping channels, Nickelodeon -- it should be on every single channel at the same time!!
  6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

My evil wish: Breaking national news just after kickoff.
  7. markvid

markvid Guest

And why is Fox and ESPN shut out? They pay more money than CBS does (NBC the most).
  8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I imagine they were offered it and turned it down.
  9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

My guess is CBS because the AFC is the road team and the road team's network gets to air the games. NBC as an apology for making it air the Jets-Chiefs game the next night.

Locally in NYC, Channel 9 (MY9) was supposed to be the local over-the-air broadcast station. Any word if they're losing the game or do they get to keep the game in addition to CBS and NBC picking it up?
  10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They keep it.
  11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also, it's a New England road game and thus would fall under the CBS package under normal circumstances. That may have had something to do with it.
    The cynical side in me says either the NFL realizes its little power play isn't working and they caved, or a shitload of money was exchanged to make this happen. Or the NFL sees it as a way to expose the NFL Network to people and get them to buy it.
    The fan (naive?) side of me says good for the NFL for throwing a bone to their fans. The NFL does a lot of greedy, money-grubbing things but for once they seem to actually give a shit about the people who buy their product. Give 'em some credit.
  12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It's a goddamn shame there aren't really any Jedis in real life. One good swing of a lightsaber, and we'd be rid of Belichick, fucking asshole that he is. I bet he roots for the storm troopers.
Draft saved Draft deleted