1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ND's Weis directs players to reach verbal agreements with agents??

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What the hell is the point of "deciding in your own mind?"

The purpose, at least theoretically, of the players selecting an agent before the season, is so the agent will leave the player alone, not contact him, harrass him, entice him with money and goodies, etc.(like that's something most players want to avoid. :D :D ) If the agent doesn't KNOW the player has made a decision, the agent will act on the assumption that the player HAS NOT made the decision, and will continue to contact and harrass him as before.

Unless the player tells the agent that he has selected HIM as his agent, making the decision is totally meaningless. And when the player tells the agent he has selected him, and the agent agrees, that constitutes a verbal agreement.

2. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Yeah, she embezzled that, but the amount given to players (and their friends) was far, far less. I think less than $40K total, which IS a ton, but not a million. And probably not an unheard-of figure in college football gift-giving.

It definitely tarnished the image, of course, but that was somewhat my point -- everyone thinks of her and "embezzling more than million and giving gifts to players," and conflates the two.

3. 85bears

85bears Member

4. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

University at Buffalo at Amherst.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

KU hoops went on probation for the 1988-89 season -- the year after its national title -- because Larry Brown gave Vincent Askew a plane ticket home. That cost them a chance to repeat.

I'm guessing that cost far less than what the ND players gave and received years ago.

I can't stand ND. And I'm Catholic.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

The Irish compliance staff is all over the story.

[​IMG]

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA, of course, had no problem with Brown hiring the completely-unqualified Ed Manning as a very-nicely paid assistant coach, and also channelling thousands of bucks under the table to Danny.

Back to Weis-gate. This is going to blow up on them, for a number of reasons.

Agents are pushy, obnoxious, aggressive guys. They do not like to take "no" for an answer.

The players, and their families, can be as coy and noncomittal as they want, but unless they hear the words, "you are the guy," agents are going to continue to act on the presumption that they still have a chance.

Players, for the most part, are greedy and quite willing to accept money, goodies, and any other handouts agents are offering. As a result, agents will continue to offer this stuff, until they think they have the kid in the bag.

And when they DO have the kid in the bag, then what? You think the agents are going to be OK with the player just saying, "let's just have a gentlemen's agreement, nothing on paper, let's just agree between you and me that at the end of the season, I'll sign a contract with you" ??

Baloney. That'll last about four hours, until the first player decides to renege on a 'verbal agreement.' The agents are going to want something on paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted