1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCTJ

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanielLeggett, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the OP have parents that care about their kid enough to drag him away from the football pitch and take him to school?

Here's a sincere comment: I don't know if it's the same in the U.K., but I can't imagine any editor hiring a high school dropout unless they have some great story behind it, plus some serious writing/reporting skills.

Unless you want to work for a rag making just enough money to afford fish and chips every fortnight, an online course won't cut it. Stay in school and go to university.

EDIT: I saw the link and it's more useless than I thought. An 18-hour course will get you a non-paying job at Bleacher Report.

Read this about a woman who took a year-long course at NCTJ and had a difficult time landing an interview.

http://wannabehacks.co.uk/2011/07/lucy-sherriff-flooding-the-market-nctj-promises-much-but-delivers-little/

Draft saved Draft deleted