1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAAB Team of the decade

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This one was harder to narrow down the teams than the NCAAF thread. You could really make a case for any NCAA Tournament champion since it's so hard to win a 64/65 team, 6 round single elimination tournament. And there are great teams who didn't even win the tournament. But in the end I've narrowed it down to four teams who I feel stood out above the rest.

2000-01 Duke Blue Devils (35-4)

I always hated Duke, but I found this team hard to cheer against because of how exciting they were to watch. They had an explosive offense, great 3 point shooting, and one of the best defensive players in recent memory in Shane Battier. Their only weakness was depth.

They won their six NCAA Tournament games by an average score of 87-70.

Starting Lineup
    Jason Williams
    Nate James
    Mike Dunleavy
    Shane Battier
    Carlos Boozer

Key Bench Players: Chris Duhon

2004-05 North Carolina Tar Heels (33-4)

When most people think of UNC over the last decade they remember the 08-09 team with Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington, but this team may have been just as talented and much deeper. There were 9 or 10 players who saw significant playing time, which is unheard of these days. They beat a great Illinois team (Derron Williams, Dee Brown) in the final who would have been on this list had the game gone the other way.

Starting Lineup
    Raymond Felton
    Rashad McCants
    Jackie Manuel
    Jawad Williams
    Sean May

Key Bench Players: Marvin Williams, David Noel, Melvin Scott

2006-07 Florida Gators (35-5)

The Gators returned all five starters from the championship team the previous year, and were the first team to repeat since Duke back in '91-92. They had dominance inside with Noah and Horford, an experience point guard in Green, Brewer was a dynamic player who could shoot from outside as well as get to the basket, and Humphrey knocked down 3 point shot after 3 point shot. Like '01 Duke they didn't have any depth, but it didn't seem to slow them down. They breezed through the NCAA Tournament without much of a challenge.

Starting Lineup
    Taurean Green
    Lee Humphrey
    Corey Brewer
    Al Horford
    Joakim Noah

Key Bench Players: Chris Richard

2008-09 North Carolina Tar Heels (34-4)

Loaded with talent, plus had good depth. They had dominant size, speed, athleticism, good shooters, plus one of the greatest college basketball players of all time in Tyler Hansbrough. They won their NCAA Tournament games by an average of 20 points, and their closest game was 12 points. Plus they did all of that without Ginyard, who missed the tournament with an injury.

Starting Lineup
    Ty Lawson
    Danny Green
    Wayne Ellington
    Deon Thompson
    Tyler Hansbrough

Key Bench Players: Bobby Frasor, Ed Davis, Marcus Ginyard

Honorable Mention:

1999-00 Michigan State Spartans: Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson, Jason Richardson. Tom Izzo is one of the finest college coaches of all time and is known for having competitive tournament teams. This was his best.

2001-02 Maryland Terrapins: Steve Blake, Juan Dixon, Lonnie Baxter, Chris Wilcox. Had a dominant run through the tournament. They were close to knocking off the great '01 Duke team in the Final Four the year before as well.

2003-04 Connecticut Huskies: Ben Gordon, Emeka Okafor, Rashad Anderson, Charlie Villanueva, Josh Boone. I was really close to including them as a fifth team on the poll, however they did not win the Big East regular season title and were only a 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament. I do think they could compete with any of the teams on the poll though.

2004-05 Illinois Fighting Illini: Dee Brown, Derron Williams, James Augustine, Luther Head, Roger Powell. Like I said above, if they had won the title game against UNC they would have easily been on the poll. They started the year 29-0 before losing their final regular season game to Ohio State at the buzzer.

2007-08 Kansas Jayhawks: Sherron Collins, Darnell Jackson, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur, Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Sasha Kaun. This team only lost three games all season. They knocked off Hansbrough's UNC in dominant fashion in the Final Four, and beat Derrick Rose's Memphis team in overtime in the final. A good case could be made for this team.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Um.....if I may suggest a team....

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

You guys can mention a team if you'd like. But you have to give reasons why you chose that team.
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was kidding. But only barely.
  5. mb

mb Active Member

4 to choose from and 5 honorable mentions. Syracuse is displeased.
  6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That Duke team was amazing. There was noting to criticize about those kids. All tough and smart. Jason Williams and Chris Duhon might have been the greatest back-court tandem in the history of college basketball. Duke also gets an assist from their great fans - the Cameron Crazies.
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

How a repeat champ is not No. 1 is wrong. To defend after having already won and having that target on your back all year is huge.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Gail Goodrich and Walt Hazzard (UCLA 1963-64) might disagree.
  9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Might means it's arguable.
  10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

That Williams and Duhon backcourt is definitely not the best in college history. Williams that year was one of the best point guards ever in college basketball, no doubt. Duhon was nothing but a solid complimentary player. There are numerous other backcourts with two stars that were better than that pairing.
  11. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

You better believe it. 2003 NATIONAL CHAMPS, are not pleased.

Melo doing EVERYTHING, McNamara raining down threes, Hakim Warrick patrolling the paint and getting shots the fuck out of there.

Those are just the main three off the top of my head. I think they also won the Big East title that year, I think they also won it a couple years later as a 8 seed or something.
  12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Syracuse were a good team, but you have to look at the whole body of work. They didn't win their conference outright. They didn't win their conference tournament. And they were a 3 seed in the NCAA Tournament. They got hot when it mattered and upset Kansas in the final, who I think was the better team that year.
Draft saved Draft deleted