1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 9 running thread: Dennis Franklin's Collarbone is fine, thank you

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it would be hard to finish ahead of Oklahoma State or maybe K-State, but Stanford is pretty far back in the BCS for an undefeated team. I would think a win over South Carolina would prevent that from happening for Clemson, but I don't know...

2. Johnny Chase

Johnny Chase Member

For sure I think a one-loss Alabama/LSU team should jump Boise. Really not much of a contest for me.

Should be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

If Stanford finishes undefeated, it will include a win over Oregon, sure to boost the Cardinal's BCS standing.

4. Mizzougrad96

If by "interesting" you mean, "the same crock of shit that happens every year that continues to ruin the greatest sport out there..." I agree...

I'm just waiting for Alabama to run the table and everybody else has one loss and then Oregon jumps over LSU to go to the title game.

That could never happen... A team could win a tiebreak with a team that kicked it's ass on a neutral field? That's impossible... That would never happen.

Maybe Bama will lose 35-7 in the SEC title game. That would surely eliminate them from playing for the national title.

5. Mizzougrad96

An Oregon team that lost to a LSU team that is likely to be in the middle of the debate.

6. Mizzougrad96

I just hope there are enough undefeated teams at the end of the season for multiple teams to be crying foul.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Unlikely, Mizzou. I'd make the over-under on BCS conference undefeateds at 1. Clemson needs to win a rematch with Va. Tech to do it. That's always tough. Stanford has to prove to me it can beat Oregon, ditto for Oklahoma State as far as Oklahoma goes. If Kansas State can beat both of those two, I'd give 'em a bye in the BCS Championship game and just hand 'em the ugly trophy.

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Agreed.

9. Mizzougrad96

History shows you're right. Even in the years where two weeks before the end of the season it looks like it's going to be a colossal mess, it almost always gets cleaned up a bit. Boise loses to Nevada or something like that...

Yet, we still have gotten teams with two losses playing for the title, something that never happened under the old system. We've twice had teams that lost by more than four touchdowns less than a month earlier rewarded with playing for the title. I know there's 3-4 times when the No. 3 team in the final BCS poll beat the No. 2 team head-to-head.

The system is such garbage.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

When LSU played for the title with two losses, the "old system" wouldn't have done a damn thing to prevent it.

There were three teams with one or no losses at the end of the season. The only unbeaten was Hawaii, which, well, just no. Kansas had one loss, which was at the end of the year and kept them out of their conference title game.

And Ohio State had one loss and made the title game, where we all know what happened.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

If Oklahoma State runs the table through THAT schedule......they would be very deserving of the No. 2 ranking.

You would HAVE to put them ahead of a 1-loss Alabama or LSU. Then, let all the bitching between Clemson, Houston and Boise begin, because they will be the last 3 undefeated teams.

Oregon will beat Stanford.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Point to ponder: What if the only unbeaten at the end of the season is Houston?

Draft saved Draft deleted