1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 4 College football thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BrianGriffin, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. But do you really think a coach isn't aware of this stuff, even if it takes a sportswriter to fill him in?

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I think it was Savannah State that played Oklahoma State last year or two years ago, and if I remember right the line got up to 59.

Can't remember who Oregon played last year, but the line got to 56. I went 2:1 if they had it covered by halftime. They did.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here is Browns' buyout.

[​IMG]

Found it here: http://twitpic.com/b3v32a

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Mark and Ryan:

Lighten up, Francises.

The original post was in response to Mark's absurd thought that a blowout puts a coach in a difficult situation because "you know Mr. Big Money Booster has a few grand riding on the home team, so ... you feel pressure to leave the starters (or even second-teamers) in for one more series to cover the spread."

Obviously, a coach might well read the spread in the paper or hear it on the radio or be told it by a reporter or a fan or a friend or his wife. The point is, if the coach gives even a tenth of a rat's ass what the point spread is while he's on the sideline or working on the game plan, he deserves to be fired.

The golf course story was just a coach having some fun with his staff. The head coach's "if you hit it close, you're fired" line was obviously delivered tongue-in-cheek, especially considering the setting (though he was probably only half joking about not wanting his assistants spending too much time on the course), and the assistant missed the green mostly because he wasn't a very good golfer -- he could hit the ball a mile but usually had no idea where it was going.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So who is fired first? Brown? Kiffin? Pelini?

I'm going with Pelini. If they don't win the Big Ten, he's a goner.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Brown.

He might be gone by Monday if/when they get throttled by KState.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So if Nebraska wins out the rest of the regular season, but loses to Ohio State in the Big Ten title game he'll get fired? I don't think so, not unless there are more rants or public dust ups with high-profile alums.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

People already don't like Pelini, who by all accounts is a world-class prick. And I think taking on a guy like Tommie Frazier publicly will hurt him more than the f-bomb rant.

But worst of all, he's supposed to be a defense-first coach and the Huskers have given up 70, 45, 34 and 41 in four of their last five games. I stand beside it; he's done if they don't go to the Rose Bowl.

Nebraska didn't get into the Big Ten to win the division.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Kiffin.

Although I think the decision has already been made on Mack, he'll be allowed to finish out this season, then get a golden parachute to ease him into retirement. And then they'll make a run at Saban.

Nebraska is still going to win 9 games and play on New Year's Day, and that will buy Pelini another year.

Kiffin, on the other hand, is dead man walking at Southern Cal. If they get blown out by Stanford, I think they'll pull the plug on him right then.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

If that's the thought from Nebraska, let's change the name of the town from Lincoln to Knoxville...

Nebraska is fast becoming the Teneessee of the Big 10. Lots of history and expectations to build on that history, but no recruiting base to meet the expectations in the modern world.

For these programs, I think money has actually made it more difficult for them. Because there is so much at stake, programs in the hotbed states have taken notice and are all in on winning to get as big a piece of the pie as possible.

It's much harder to build a non-local college football powerhouse than it used to be. The big exception I see right now is Oregon, with all of its Hawaiians, Californians and Texans. But for the most part, the top programs out there are building the majority of their roster and two-deeps off players within a few hours drive of the school. Or, if they aren't, they are at least capable of doing it.

Nebraska can't do that and win big.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Neither Texas nor Nebraska nor USC will fire a head coach during the season. It will come after the season is done and they'll do the proverbial "national search".

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Alabama suspends block seating, meaning white girls are going to have to wait in line for their seats like everybody else.

http://blog.al.com/tuscaloosa/2013/09/university_of_alabama_suspends_1.html#incart_most-comments

Kristen Saban is gonna have to choke a bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted