1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 3 College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Sep 9, 2013.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

USC coeds>Penn State coeds

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Doug Williams unceremoniously fired as Grambling head coach:

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20130911/SPORTS/130911002?nclick_check=1

3. BrianGriffin

Pretty harsh. Sure, they were blown out by UL-Monroe, but the SWAC may be the worst conference in Division I college football. I added it up and my quick, unofficial math is they are 1-11 as a league in non-conference games and the average margin in the 11 losses is around 32 points. They have lost to some FBS schools, but they also have two losses to D-IIs (Tuskegee and Delta State). The one SWAC out-of-conferenc win was by Alcorn State over Edward Waters College, an NAIA team.

If they want to blame anything for the dismal state of that program and that conference, blame the Bayou Classic. The FCS has a post season and while it's not a money maker, when you are recruiting players who are generally getting looks at the FCS level, most will want a chance to play in a meaningful post-season.

The SWAC does not and the quality of the programs has suffered. It's clearly a couple of notches below the other FCS HBCU conference, the MEAC, which does send teams to the playoffs.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All that is true, but Abbott is correct, too. Anytime a white reporter/fan criticizes a black player, they get labeled racist. But it seems fair game to criticize white players all day for the same reasons.

But, Manziel is just a punk who led his success go to his head. I hope Heisman voters remember all this next time they cast ballots for the silly thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The quality of coaching in the SWAC has also plummeted. There aren't any Marino Casems or W.C. Gordens plying their trade in the SWAC any more. When a run-of-the-mill white assistant like Jay Hopson is the best hire Alcorn State can come up with, you know it's gotten bad.

6. BrianGriffin

I think that ties into the non-participation in the post-season as well. Winning the SWAC won't get you much notice. Neither, for that matter, will winning the Southland or Southern. What tends to get FCS coaches noticed is winning in the post-season like a Jim Tressel, a fairly long list of Montana coaches, Paul Wulff (former Washington State coach from Eastern Washington), Paul Johnson, Mike London and several others.

One may argue against the wisdom of hiring a guy who who wins at the FCS level for a big-time program, but you can't argue that from a coaches' perspective, regular-season success in the FCS gets you little. Post season success gets you paid. So why coach in a conference where there's nothing beyond the regular season besides a conference championship game?

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I read that USC had more than two dozen prospects at its game last Saturday, so it ended up being a good recruiting trip for WAZZU.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A mere 10 hours until the fucking frogs from the Fort get peter-slapped all over Lubbock.

Guns up, bitches.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The 3 bets for ye olde chef this weekend.....

Took Under 71 on Tennessee @ Oregon
    Took Fresno State (-10) @ Colorado
    Took Tulsa (+24) @ Oklahoma

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Tulsa is laying 24 at Oklahoma?

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Fixed.

Getting 24.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd take the over on Oregon -- Ducks put up at least 66
    Fresno State might win but Colorado covers 10
    Should be the week Okie puts up at least 50 so +24 should be safe

Some other ones I saw from our pick 'em league ...

Tonight: Boise 23.5 at home against Air Force, which gave up a ton at home against Utah State

Saturday ...

Indiana -3 at home against Bowling Green
    Stanford 28.5 at Army
    This should be the week USC is pissed enough to score so I'd take lay the 14 at home against BC (but I still won't touch it)
    Illinois getting 10 at home against Washington? Washington is much better but not 10-on-the-road better against an Illini team that just showed it can score a lot of points at home.

Draft saved Draft deleted