1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 2, 2019.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure "the country" wasn't doing backflips over Texas Tech in the basketball title game, but they kinda won their way there via a fair bracket. I'm starting to think ESPN would be against an 8- or 16-team playoff because their windbags wouldn't be able to windbag like this, and then how is the network gonna fill airtime?

maumann and ChrisLong like this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I have nothing against Utah. I just don't want to see the expected 38-6 semifinal bludgeoning.

We can't even get competitive semifinal games in this playoff 80 percent of the time. What makes anyone think quarterfinals would be even better?

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is no evidence from this season, none, that Utah is destined to lose a playoff blowout. Any result is possible in one game, and I don't think any team in the country is Ohio State blowout-proof, but that remains an assumption. BTW, if Georgia does win Saturday and all the other title games go chalk, Clemson will get Ohio St. I don't see them as blowout-proof either.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

LSU will bludgeon Georgia.
    LSU (-7) is getting me a Peleton.

maumann likes this.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I've been tiptoeing around so many games with a shekel here and two shekels there, but eventually the bankroll has to have real sweat somewhere. LSU -7 increasingly seems like a good place to do it.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Hey buddy, I am going to be in vegas this weekend. I know LSU looks chalky, but what the hell, it looks good.

Glad your state got its own gambling now, I don't have to be your 'mule'. :)

playthrough and Chef2 like this.
  7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The last time Utah was in this position, they were the mid-major underdog flavor of the month. They had that run with Urban Meyer and Alex Smith, and then of course their demolition of Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
    Even though they've had some success, they haven't really been in this spot of national prominence since joining the Pac-12, though. I wonder if that's hurting them a little bit. Are people still thinking of them as the plucky underdog who doesn't stand a chance against the "real" powerhouses, rather than a top-5 team from a Power 5 conference? If one of the traditional Pac-12 members like USC, Washington or Oregon had their resume, would those teams be taken more seriously?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So, pick Oklahoma and watch a 58-6 bloodletting? Oklahoma gave up 48 to Kansas State and 41 to Iowa State, for crying out loud.

Utah plays defense. Oklahoma doesn't.

9. BTExpress

Oklahoma, Utah, potato, potahto.

Whomever they want to pick to be slaughtered is fine with me. Just don't tell me we need to expand it and pick four more.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

.....but we do need four more.

11. BTExpress

Oh, well, OK then.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted