1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

My wife and I were at that game. It was a helluva lot of fun, that final swinging door play that got Robert Brown open for the winning shot.

The highlight for me was waiting outside for the Alumni Society charter bus to come get us. Ray Watts came out and walked to the curb to be picked up, accompanied by a couple of his yes men. We gave him hell from the time he came into sight until he got into the university Suburban.

Outing alert - I'm the guy in the eyepatch you can briefly see at the start here. My favorite memory of that encounter was the guy at :30 or so. "You're a stain! A stain on UAB!".

We have forgotten or forgiven nothing. We're just stuck with the guy, like a deeply buried tick.

Edit: We deployed the "Fire Ray Watts" chant every chance we got, particularly at away basketball games. When the home team went to the free throw line and things were nice and quiet, a few people chanting "Fire Ray Watts" carried very well over a television or radio broadcast.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jacksonville ... backsliding in collegiate prominence since 1970.

EDIT: God, what a walk-in title for UCLA that year. The semifinalists were UCLA, Jacksonville, St. Bonaventure and New Mexico State.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

After LSU kicks the krap out of Georgia and Oregon beats Utah, that leaves the Big 12 winner to get the 4 seed.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jacksonville had Artis Gilmore. St. Bonaventure had Bob Lanier. Some walk-in.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Patience, young grasshopper.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For the degenerates ... I got Under 51 early on Utah/Oregon, and the number has tumbled to 47. Would you take the over and try for the middle?

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nope.
    Your under should be good.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Uh, JU had a guy named Artis Gilmore. Maybe you've heard of him. SBU had a guy named Bob Lanier, maybe you've heard of him. You try carrying him up and down the court for 40 minutes.

New Mexico State had Jimmy Collins, Sam Lacey and Charlie Criss. All played in the NBA for at least two seasons and Lacey played 13 seasons and averaged in double figures over his career.

Unfortunately Lanier suffered a torn ACL in garbage time in the East Regional final (fuck you forever, Chris Ford) and did not play in the Final Four, otherwise things might have been very different, as Lanier was absolutely dominant as a senior.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Are you able to play it "in-game"?

If I get an under 51, I try to get it to 42 (under the key numbers 43-44-45-46-47) and then middle it.

Of course, that strategy worked so well for me in Auburn-Alabama and Iowa-Nebraska.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

One Jacksonville basketball note.

Our youth basketball program needed a court so we bought some 1991-era court from JU. Still has the font and the dolphin logo all over the court. It's sweet.

Big Circus likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted