1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

LSU's resume will be so much better than Oklahoma's or Baylor's. Utah's too. No one will have a better win than at Alabama. LSU would not have lost to unranked teams like Oklahoma and Utah will have done. I just don't see how you can keep LSU out of its only loss is to the No. 4 team in the playoff on a (ha) neutral field. I'd feel differently if there were going to be four unbeatens, but that's not happening. My thoughts, anyway.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The only one of the undefeateds I feel confident would be eliminated with a loss next week is Clemson.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Looks to me as though Malzahn had that punt play in his pocket, just waiting for the right time to spring it.

4. Neutral Corner

I don't want to flog it too much, but I'm so proud of my UAB Blazers. In a legit rebuilding year, after losing eight starters on defense, four of five starters on the OL and all three starting WR's, the team was picked fourth in C-USA West after winning the conference last year. Instead they'll be playing for back-to-back conference championships, coming off of a nine win regular season. Most notable and responsible for this is the defense. UAB's defense was #9 last year, lost eight starters - and is #6 this season.

I see the chatter about Bill Clark going to various schools, and I remain optimistic that he'll stay put at least through 2021 when the new stadium opens. What *does* scare me is that one of the big dogs might take a run at DC David Reeves. Reeves joined Clark at Jacksonville St. in 2013 and has stayed with him since. He was one of the three coaches who stayed at UAB through the shutdown and return. P5 coordinator money might be enough to lure him away - although he may stay put and not move until Clark does. In any case, this was one helluva year for the no longer long-suffering UAB fans.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Harbaugh gets a lot of attention for being a merely good coach under the best possible circumstances.
    He coaxed 1 great year out of Stanford. While its not easy to make Stanford a perennial top 10 team, which he didn’t come close to doing, its a great school that plays in a famous but weak conference. A really good coach should be able to win there. And Stanford has had a winning season every year since Mr. Toughguy left (until this year ). It’s a great school in a great place.

Michigan is one of the top 10 college coaching jobs in America. And for what its worth, and in semipro college football it doesn’t mean much, Michigan is one of the best academic schools to play in the serious College Football Playoff system.

He’s good at what he does, just like 40 other guys with the same job.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh to be a fly on the wall at Alabama's coaches meetings this week.

7. Neutral Corner

I'm not sure of that. The paint on the walls will likely be blistering under that fly's feet.

Chef2 likes this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

He indeed did and outsmarted Saban. Brilliant coaching move.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

North Korean cabinet meetings might have less tension.

justgladtobehere and Chef2 like this.
  10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Exactly what happened. Good breakdown of it here, with two things that stood out:
    1) Malzahn almost used that play earlier in the game but held off.
    2) They weren't trying to catch Alabama with 12 guys. The real intent was to keep Waddle off the field, and the penalty was just a bonus.

Inside Auburn’s game-sealing, 4th-down gambit in the Iron Bowl

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Tide getting social'd left and right.

Draft saved Draft deleted