1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 12

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I think you could make the case right now that Virginia Tech has the best chance of VT/UVa/Pitt to give Clemson a game in the ACC championship game. Wouldn't have said that earlier in the season.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

They've only been to two playoffs.

Not quite as predictable as Alabama (5), Clemson (4) and Oklahoma (3).

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I kept thinking going into yesterday that Wake would at least compete for a little bit.
    I've watched Wake play a couple times this year, and didn't think they were too bad.
    That game was over before the coin flip yesterday.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

They lost Surratt, their best receiver and one of the better receivers in the country, in the Virginia Tech game. Crippled their offense. They wouldn't have beaten Clemson with him, but they may have been able to compete a bit, at least.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I heard somebody say on ESPN radio that Texas' loss to Iowa State guarantees Baylor's trip to the Big 12 title game.
    When they get excluded with a 12-1 record and a win over Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game, be prepared for a War on Christians discussion.

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Oregon State, at least from a facilities standpoint, was way way way nicer than I expected when I visited there a few years back. Phil Knight finds plenty of money from under the couch to help them out.

exmediahack likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

He helps out his alma mater's chief rival?

Flip Wilson likes this.
  8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Saw some of that when we were there over the summer for my son’s visit there. Soccer facilities were about mid-D2 level, however.

I don’t think Uncle Phil sees OSU as a main rival. That’s for USC and Washington, I imagine.

Oregon State has far more students than Oregon. Might not be a wise move to cut OSU out completely.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I don't think Phil has contributed directly to OSU. He has given a ton to Stanford, though.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OSU has an excellent Nike contract. Knight has helped out marginally in baseball, quietly contributing money through second- and third-parties to help expand the stadium. UO did not have a program for many years and PK has a close relationship with the former coach, who made them a national power, and from what I heard PK never made a good connection with George Horton once Oregon brought baseball back.

PK was absolutely embarrassed when OSU had Wilson and Russell uniforms/equipment when it first went to the CWS. He rectified that situation and OSU baseball gets a lot of support from Nike.

PK's wife has horses, I think, and she has contributed to the OSU vet school, which has treated them. PK otherwise does nothing much personally for OSU. The Reser family, an Oregon food conglomerate, is the top booster.

OSU's facilities are not as gaudy as Oregon's (whose are), but they are certainly better than average. Unlike many schools, they are all centrally located on campus, except for the university golf course. Almost 3/4 of the football stadium has been completely rebuilt from the ground up in the last 15 years. The 1950-era basketball arena has undergone major renovations.

The soccer stadium is not D1 caliber (the programs are, however); a brand-new stadium is on the list of planned facility improvements. That has not prevented OSU alums from playing in both the men's and women's World Cups, and throughout the MLS.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Speaking of Nike money I found it really strange that the Sooners are covered in Air Jordan logos. A dude slam dunking a basketball doesn’t belong on a football jersey.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma, UNC all have jumpman. This shit started when Harbaugh got to Michigan. It's odd.

TigerVols likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted