1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Funny question - if someone tries to shoot it down to save Trump the embarassement aren't they also "shooting" the President? And shooting a "baby" no less - gonna cause some conflicted feelings.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think anyone who brandishes so much as a water pistol within 10 miles of that stadium on Saturday is going be watching the game from a jail cell.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What’s the largest spread you’ve ever bet to be covered? What was it like waiting for the number to be exceeded?

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Heard a good one yesterday.

"What's the best way to get a college student to boo someone?"

"Tell him he's not allowed to."

HanSenSE and BitterYoungMatador2 like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Imagine being in Bryant-Denny at the moment when Trump is introduced. The moment of hesitation, then all the partisans on both sides cut loose.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

In college football, it was probably 35 or 40 points. I rarely touch anything over that -- and decided to lay off the Maryland-Ohio State game -- because there's no margin for error. If Maryland scores 10 points, then it probably covers. Ohio State probably has to score at least 50 and maybe 60 to cover. Obviously it has the capability to do that, but Maryland also has the capability of scoring 10 or 14 points, getting blown out 51-10, and still covering. It's a situation where almost everything has to go right.
    When you lay that many points, it becomes pretty obvious pretty early if a team will cover it or not. By the middle of the second quarter you can see how a game is going and start doing the mental math on how many possessions are left and what it'll take to get there. If you're laying 43 points and it's 14-10 at halftime, you can pretty much write that one off. It's disappointing more than anything. Then you start rooting for the upset because if you're going to lose, then those gutless wonders you backed might as well suffer too.
    When it's 48-10 in the fourth quarter, though, and you start doing that math of "OK, they have the backups in ... if they get a first down here they'll probably try to burn the clock ... ball on the 20 ... crap, they need to hit a big play," I find myself as invested in it as if it was a tie game. I catch myself enjoying the absurdity of being riveted to a blowout most sane people have flipped the channel on, but that's part of the fun of it.

I think the biggest spread I've ever bet on, in any sport, was something like 51 in an NCAA women's basketball tournament game last season. Baylor and (IIRC) Abilene Christian in the first round. Took a "what the hell" flyer on it both because it was guaranteed to be a blowout and for the degenerate thrill of betting on women's college basketball. That one was fun, especially since Baylor had the spread covered and was pulling away by early in the fourth quarter. They won by 57.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Who here thinks LSU will win? Not cover, the whole game. I sure as hell don't, but there are a lot of posters who watch FBS ball more closely than I do.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

First-round NCAA women's basketball is a good call.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hearing Urban Meyer and Reggie Bush comment on the Ohio State player accepting an illegal loan is rich indeed.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted