1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Week 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Minnesota-Iowa may have more points than Georgia-Auburn.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Of course Iowa wins. Iowa only exists to ruin shit for people -- see Michigan in 2016 and Ohio State in 2017.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Oh, I've been watching Hawkeye football for almost 30 years. There's been many years with more inept offenses than this year's version.

(your point still stands. Iowa's not a top-25 team)

4. BitterYoungMatador2

maybe Pitt and Iowa can match up in the Pinstripe bowl. We can meet up at get drunk before watching this 6-3 barnburner.

I Should Coco likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

That would be a classic "bet the under" game. On both points scored and announced attendance.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Only over would be my blood pressure watching our flea bag offense commit multiple turnovers again.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I have an acquaintance who was a Pac-12 white hat. Two years ago they offered him a position on the video replay team. He didn't want to stop reffing, but decided to take the offer because he didn't know if it would still be available in a couple of years when he wanted to leave the field. He is in his mid-60s. We talked about this about a month ago. I told him I'd read all of Canzano's stories, etc. He said, "Canzano is 99.9 percent correct."

MileHigh likes this.
  9. GilGarrido

GilGarrido Active Member

So he was still an on-field ref in his early 60s? I've never paid attention to how old refs appear to be, but that seems really old to be reffing any college games.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Larry Scott seems like a guy who would have been great at Gannett - couple of buzzwords, an initiative or two and a roomfull of bewildered staffers.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Yes. He is in good shape and had no trouble keeping up with the play. Obviously, the white hat is in the backfield most of the time and doesn't do a lot of running, but his age was never an issue. He did tell me a couple of years ago that the league wanted the on-camera refs (white hats) to be younger, more buff, and, uh, they wanted more diversity.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The white hat moves a lot more than you think. The line of scrimmage wings move a lot as well.

ChrisLong likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted