1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA wants BKC game on Bin Laden's corpse carrier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I like the idea. It'll be a treat for the carrier crew and be an excellent visual backdrop for the action. I love the NHL playing outdoors. Great idea for a league that needs great ideas.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I know those fuckers are big, but will the carrier really not move AT ALL during the game?

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If they're going to be exploitative, why not use Osama's head as the basketball too?

This is unseemly on a lot of levels.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Docked in a port, no it won't. At least not perceptibly. Ever been on a supercarrier? That thing is H-U-G-E. The elevators that lift the planes to the flight deck are awesome and fast. My Dad couldn't get over how cool they were and made sure we took a few extra rides between the hangar and flight decks.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

When I was 6 or so I went on one with my cub scouts pack, but other than the sheer size of it, I don't remember that much about it.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

If I'm covering this game, I'm using every tasteless war and terrorism reference at my disposal.

"He stole the ball and threw it down like it was Obama's carcass in the ocean."

"It was a blowout reminiscent of Shock and Awe."

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd love it if they played it on the deck, but I figure it will be done down below to take the wind out of the equation.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

From an animatronic Pat Tillman.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Awesome.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It is on the top deck. There'd be no reason to have it below deck, since the novelty is would be being on deck.

From the story:
    The final deal hasn't been reached, but the plan, being promoted by Morale Entertainment, calls for the Michigan State Spartans to play the University of North Carolina Tar Heels on Veterans Day, November 11, on the top deck of the Carl Vinson at the U.S. naval base in San Diego at about 4 p.m. PT.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What Hank said. They're also talking about putting up wind screens to negate some of the outdoor conditions, and the court would be totally enclosed with seats ringing around it.

12. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Two shots and the ball?

Draft saved Draft deleted