1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA wants BKC game on Bin Laden's corpse carrier

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KJIM, Jun 22, 2011.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Not sure how I feel about this. Gut reaction is that the federal government shouldn't have anything to do with college hoops, but I guess that's not exactly realistic.

(Apologies if DB - I searched for "Vinson" and looked back a bit.)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/06/21/navy.carrier.ncaa.game/index.html

"The Carl Vinson has played key roles in the fight against terrorism almost since day one. The ship launched the first wave of air attacks on al Qaeda and Taliban targets in Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 and most recently it was the ship from which Osama bin Laden was buried at sea.

"Now the Carl Vinson is on track to make sports history, as the first ever carrier to host an NCAA basketball game."

Talks under way for a Veterans Day game.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's not without precedent to hold big sporting events at a military base. ESPN did a special edition of "Friday Night Fights" from Camp Lejeune last Veterans' Day. And, technically, every game on campus for Army, Navy and Air Force falls into the same category.

It's a unique setting, for sure, and a chance for the WWL to wave the flag. Wonder if they could put the court over where bin Laden's body was before they fed him to the fishes?

3. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I don't think this is exactly news. ... It was announced back in January that UNC and Michigan State were going to play on a carrier to be named.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They should feature a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in the opening.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

A free boat trip? Wouldn't that be an NCAA violation?

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Exploitative on so many levels, the head swims.

Love the name of the promoter: Morale Entertainment

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you're going to do this, why not at least make it a doubleheader and let the Naval Academy play against someone?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the promoter's profit margin when playing one game -- no tickets sold, relying on the TV rights fee -- is tight enough. The added expenses (security clearances, security checkpoints, etc.) and logistics of a second game with a non-marquee team would probably make it infeasible.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

COOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDD BLLLLLLLOOOOOOOODDDDDEDDDD!!!!

Really - I think the deal was set up ahead of the bin Laden thing and I figure the Vinson was scheduled to be in port at the time so really not a big deal.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'd have thought that the gimmick of playing games in wacky places (Hockey in baseball parks! WNBA at Radio City! Tennis on a Dubai tower rooftop!) might have run its course by now, but no dice.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Dunno what the big deal is. Giants and Jets played on top of Jimmy Hoffa for years.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Or at least selections from the Pledge of Allegiance.

Draft saved Draft deleted