1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney Sweet 16/Elite 8 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea who Steve Yanda is, who he works for fulltime, or if he just makes good money freelancing all the time. I do know that this isn't the first time he's had a story make the sports cover. But I think it may be the best one he's written that has.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/25/AR2008032503618.html

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Where's the blue font?

3. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Stanford beats Texas and Memphis, saving my bracket.

Write that down.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I wrote that down a week ago.

5. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Nice to know I'm not the only one. Let's go Cardinal!

PS: Headbutt, that was a hell of a story.

6. Bite me, the two of you.

7. rube

rube Active Member

Boy I hope that was a joke. By Bloomington, did you mean "an orange jumpsuit??"

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Purdue's success was what happens when a pretty good team plays in a conference which is down, but it's not just them, it's the whole country, more or less, where only a handful of major conferences had what could be considered vintage years:

ACC — down
    A-10 — up
    Big East — flat
    Big 12 — down
    Big Ten — down
    Conference USA — flat
    MVC — down
    MWC — up
    Pac-10 — way up
    WAC — waaaaay down
    CAA — down
    WCC — up

There are a lot of "pretty good" teams in this year's tourney and a few "really good" teams, but for the life of me I don't see a single great one. I'd argue Purdue was perhaps underseeded, as I believe most of the Big Ten schools were, because the conference was the most down of all the majors. It's just a mediocre year full of flawed teams that can be great or horseshit on any given night. It's actually really cool from a standpoint of watching the games. People want to bash Duke -- and I'm in favor of that, always -- but they were just another good team with flaws that might get them beat by a Belmont. Of course, it's far tougher to excuse Duke's flaws seeing as how Krzyzewski fishes with dynamite.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pac-10 earned a lotta love, going in, but the whole conference apparently hit the wall simultaneously on St. Paddy's Day.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The only true flop was USC while Oregon (Mississippi State) and Arizona (West Virginia) played tight games against higher seeds and lost. Three of the Pac-10's six bids are still playing. Not a bad showing, though with Stanford pushed to OT and UCLA just pushed, it could very easily have been just Wazzu still standing.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I don't think Stanford is quick enough to stay with Texas or Memphis, but that's why they're playing the games.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm not willing to be that rosy. Ducks collapsed like an imploded Vegas hotel when challenged in the second half, and Arizona NEVER looked like a winner
    against West Virginia (and, yes, I saw the whole game). Stanford should be gone . . . and UCLA escaped, thanks to a very kind ruling on what was a horrendous call.

Draft saved Draft deleted