1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney Sweet 16/Elite 8 Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Agreed. The only conference that really seems like it has more than it should -- other than the SBC and SoCon, of course -- is the Big Ten.

BTW, best way to spot the guys who only watch college hoops come this time of the year are all the morons dismissing Wazzu. Yes, I am a big-time fanboi, but did they really need to beat Notre Dame as bad as they did to be legitimized? Playing Carolina in Charlotte, they're most likely as dead as fried chicken, but damn if I don't get annoyed by people who haven't seen this team play and act like them in the Sweet 16 is a shocker.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

In the Elite Eight I think it will be:
    Louisville vs. NC
    Memphis vs. Texas
    Kansas vs. Wisconsin
    UCLA vs. West Virginia

Either way, I think UCLA has the easiest road to the Final Four among the top seeds. I'm looking forward to all the Sweet Sixteen games next week except in the West bracket. I just don't find those two games in the West Region intriguing.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I do not think UCLA wants to see West Virginia right now ... they have that feel about them.

That Tennessee-Louisville matchup is damn intriguing, which is why it's a shame that whoever moves on to face Carolina will have to do so on the Heels' ad hoc homecourt. Don't know whether to be excited or bored to tears at the prospect of the first Final Four with all No. 1s.

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

West Virginia is playing really well and I think that Alexander (?) kid in the middle would give Love some trouble for UCLA. I just think that the other top seeds would have tougher matchups if those eight teams do matchup in the Elite Eight. I don't think all No. 1 seeds will make it to the Final Four. At least one of them will lose, but I'm not sure which one will. Maybe Memphis?

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Texas will beat Memphis if Michigan State doesn't.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Agreed.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I had all No. 1 seeds on my bracket, but figured that couldn't happen, I penned in Tennessee to beat North Carolina. Not sure why, but I didn't trust Texas, and Memphis seems poised for a breakthrough after back-to-back Elite Eight appearances.

Though knowing my luck, it would probably be Kansas.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

OK. But those teams (along with Purdue and Indiana until they imploded) were pretty damn good.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They're about to.

I have Tennessee reaching the Elite 8 but after watching Louisville this past weekend I think the Cardinals blow the Vols' doors off.

UNC-Louisville
    KU-Wisky
    Memphis-Texas
    UCLA-West By God

UNC, KU, Texas and UCLA advance.

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

My bracket would certainly like it if you were right, but I think there's another surprise or two in there. Maybe Xavier, maybe Michigan State. If UNC's have a bad day, Wazzu could give them fits. Curry could shoot Davidson to another win, too.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I see no way Memphis reaches the Final Four. At some point, shooting sub-60 percent from the "free" throw line will bite them. Dorsey is even more overrated than Hibbert. If you pack it in and don't let Memphis get to the rim, and then take care of the basketball to avoid letting them get in transition, the Tigers can't score. Sure, keeping them from the rim is easier said than done, but teams have done that and beaten them.

Memphis' non-conference schedule isn't nearly as tough as it seems at first glance. I think the Tigers are 0-1 against teams still in the tournament.

12. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

eh, the SEC was what we thought it was...hell, a 3-digit RPI team was your tournament champion.

they got a lot of teams in, but only one was borderline (kentucky).

Draft saved Draft deleted