1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tourney first round thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've got Temple and Western Kentucky as the highest seeds to win. Although I could see Cal - Fullerton (Wisconsin) and San Diego (UConn) pulling surprises.

Final Four - UNC, Kansas, UCLA and Marquette. Almost put Clemson in place of Kansas.

Per usual, I expect my bracket to be fully engulfed in flames by about 2:45 ET today.

2. Ruth-Gehrig

Ruth-Gehrig Member

-- When Pittsburgh and Memphis most likely meet, it certainly won't be a free-throw shooting clinic, and the Panthers will win because they play in a far superior conference.
    -- Butler is very capable of knocking the Volunteers out in the second round.
    -- Oregon has several players who hit the 3-pointers, which will make it an early round nightmare.
    -- Floyd coached successfully at Iowa State before he took on the suicide mission of succeeding Phil Jackson in Chicago.
    -- Washington State will be tough for a couple of rounds.
    -- UCLA will go far because its region isn't as good as the others, but the Bruins' lack of depth and injuries will catch up to them in the Final Four.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.850thebuzz.com/blog/?p=4210">
    Obama picks the Tar Heels to win it all.</a>

4. I think his pick of CCNY to win it all is bold.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Last year, maybe. This year, not a chance. Winthrop is about 1/3 as talented as they were a year ago at this time. They have a couple of nice players, but they just won't be able to keep up for more than 25 minutes -- tops.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

What about LIU? That Clair Bee's a helluva coach.

Oh . . . wait . . .

7. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Don't give Winthrop too much credit. Oregon has as much talent as the best teams in the country. They just play with their heads in their asses. Winthrop is nowhere near Oregon's talent level.

8. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

FWIW, the MMOD line is already up to 6,300 in the VIP section and 8,400 in the general admission section.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Who's covering the Verizon Center pod? I'm in DC if anyone wants to get some drinks Friday night.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I like how the first comment suspected his Tar Heels pick has a lot to do with attempting to gain Edwards' endorsement.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That was the first thing I thought too.

12. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Bruce Pearl has won everywhere.

Took SIU to the DII finals in his second year there. Won 18-20 games consistently.
    Won a DII championship there.

Took over Wisconsin-Milwaukee, won 20 games every year but his first.

Took over Tennessee. Won immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted