1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tourney first round thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 19, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Nicely done

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've ended up with the mediocre, and nearly-unbelievable, Final Four of Louisville, Memphis, Georgetown and Xavier. Can all four do it? Sure. Will it happen? I highly doubt it. Louisville's too erratic, Georgetown might have been too lucky and Xavier is not battle-tested enough. Fortunately, I took the Tigers to run the table.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Here's hoping Winthrop hammers Washington State!

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I've got Wisconsin, Stanford, North Carolina and UCLA.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Roy made only two Final Fours in his first 12 years (1991, 1993). I would still say allow Self a decade in Lawrence to see how his resume stacks against Roy's with respect to time spent at KU.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Roy Williams is not among the 10 best coaches in this tourney. Maybe not the 20 best.

He's a good salesman, a fair quote, and a fairly nice guy when he's not red-assed. He's like, oh, Davis Love III at Hilton Head during the regular season, and Davis Love III at the majors during the Tourney.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

While not an upset, I've got Louisville beating Tennessee. Does anyone think Clemson can hang with Kansas?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Kansas reeks of epic fail in the Big Dance.

Clemson could beat them.

9. There are 20 better coaches in this field of 64 than Roy Williams?
    Uh, no.
    Has some referee fucked up yet?

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'd like to see four separate threads. One for each region.

But, I'll just have to settle for here.

In the East, I'm not ready to count out Indiana, but they have one hell of a battle. I figure they can bounce back from their off-court problems, but I'm not sure they can get past UNC. Even if they do, I don't see them beating Notre Dame.

Notre Dame is an intriguing team. They have a deep threat and someone inside to battle UNC's big man if they both reach the Sweet Sixteen.

I have Tennessee and Notre Dame matching up for the Final Four berth. I'll readily admit that the Notre Dame pick is not likely.

In the Midwest, I think Kansas and Georgetown roll right through the field. If I had to pick a surprise team, it might be USC. I picked Wisconsin in one Final Four. The Big Ten might be down this year, but they're almost always better than expected come tournament time.

In the south, I see it as a Pitt/Memphis battle to see who faces Texas for the Final Four spot. My shocker upset is Cornell over Stanford. If it happens, I'll move to Vegas and retire.

The west is a mystery to me. I have UCLA taking it over Baylor on one sheet. On another, I have Purdue replacing Baylor. On another, I have Georgia filling the spot.

My Final Four is boring, but I did pick Pitt over Memphis in one bracket along with Notre Dame beating out UNC in the east.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sheeit, Notre Dame is going to lose to Washington State.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As someone who has followed the Big Ten all year, I've got all four of its teams out by Sunday. Just a hunch, like anyone's.

Draft saved Draft deleted