1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA tourney first round thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Figured the Selection Sunday thread was already getting up there, so let's start a thread for Thursday and Friday's games.
    Upsets, predictions, game commentary, whatever.

(And yes, I realize I'm a bit early, but seeing as the crutches are a major pain in the ass, I basically haven't moved all day and am bored as hell.)

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I was about to start this thread. So, thanks.

Here's hoping Washington State hammers Winthrop!

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So far it is going about as I have expected.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I just filled out two brackets and have absolutely no faith in 95 percent of the field. Outside of UCLA and UNC, it was a crapshoot.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I think Kansas has a solid shot at a final four -- no "B" teams on the slate. It's the Memphis bracket I think will be wide open. I think WVU or Zona could take down the Dukies.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

But Bill "I make Roy Williams look like John Wooden" Self is their coach.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

In all fairness, Roy didn't win a national championship in his 15 years in Lawrence. So if Self wins one in his fifth there three weeks from now ....

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Sorry, Oz. I think they have the best team, but recent history leaves me with no confidence in the Jayhawks.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Don't blame you, if I weren't such a blatent homer when the tournament begins, I would too. But I like the way Self coaches -- high-low, go inside-out, lots of contact -- as opposed to Roy. Here's hoping.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

well, florida looks good early on and...wait, what's that logo on the court? oh, right:
    [​IMG]

(i'm sorry, it had to be done)

got two #1s (UCLA, UNC) and two #2s (georgetown, tejas) in my final four. kinda feel like a schlump, but all the mid-seeds leave me feel wanting this year. got some double digits lasting to the second round, but aside from that, chalk chalk chalk.

pitt would be a nice story to make a deep run, but i'm not buying it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Quiet! I am trying to watch Washington and Valparaiso in the CBI.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Self's teams still find a way to fuck it up in March though. As lousy a NCAA tournament coach as he was and as Schottenheimer-esque as his teams were as high seeds, Roy at least made it to four Final Fours and a couple of championship games. Self hasn't even gotten past the Elite 8 (0-4 there).

Draft saved Draft deleted