1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney coverage and the economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Mar 16, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think both MSU teams have a good chance in the first round.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I'm telling you four in a room would be a story if newspapers found out some government agency was doing it. It is disgraceful and unhealthy and fucking pathetic.

3. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Two schools to cover, two different locations. Only one of our two writers is covering anything. I'm staying home as the low-man on the totem pole. We're hoping to string out coverage of our second team so that it's at least a local slant rather than the AP coverage.

It's rough. We were begging for our two teams - in vastly different conferences - to be sent to the same site. Not. Even. Close.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You know, given the shrinking newshole at most places, I'm surprised there is room for more than one 12-inch story these days.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Are you kidding me? No, no interest in PAYING EXTRA to do my job. If the company wants something covered, they can fucking pay for it.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Last I checked, this is our job - nothing more. I'm not interested in donating to any more charities.

If the company isn't paying for it, why should we? We shouldn't pay for travel, food or lodging while on the road working. (All the beers are a different story.) The fact this is even up for debate is incredibly sad.

Please stop giving the CEOs another chance to screw you - and the rest of us - over. The job doesn't love you back as much as you think. You're just selling all of us short when you don't draw the line when they push us too far.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Recall rooming once with a fellow scribe. Guy had a definite flatulence but bless his heart, he did warn me before hand.
    Also remember one guy who who roomed with colleague and was upset because the guy brought a hooker in the room and he was forced to hear them getting it on for a few hours.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's the height of unprofessionalism.

As for rooming, hell, as a college SID, I would room with people all the time. Everyone in the traveling party did: players, coaches, trainers, managers, whoever. Never thought of it as a big deal.

9. in the same room?

still ... a few hours? impressive ... dude got his money's worth

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which one is the height of unprofessionalism, the flatulence or the hooker?

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I just want it on the record that I'm not the John Candy character.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

So I take it the option would be to just turn down the assignment because obviously they ain't paying for two rooms.

Draft saved Draft deleted