1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney coverage and the economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Micro,

If you're a paper who routinely staffs games at that location, you can get credentials.

My paper got credentials (two writers, two photogs) to the first and second round women's games at Western Kentucky University in Bowling Green. And we only covered a handful - and I'm using that loosely - of WKU men's games this year. Didn't even staff a women's game in Bowling Green.

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Exactly. There is a limit and this four in a room crap is it.
    Not only do you drive all day with the same people, and work with the same people all day, but you have to be in the same room. I don't even want to go into details of use of the facilities in the room. My god unless it's immediate family members staying four in a room or kids heading to spring break wanting to save money while hardly being in the room all weekend ... just say no.
    It is demeaning and disgraceful. My god.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Those aren't pillows!

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

What you call "cramped" the suits call "camaraderie."

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Did we ever decide if there were *actually* people sleeping four to a room at this thing, or if that was just Moddy's attempt at humor?

Because it would be a little funny to me if this whole thread took this irate tangent for nothing.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Let's see, our paper could have had:

- Three days of blog coverage of the regional
    - Two features the day of the game from the site
    - Gamer and notes package from the game

Instead, we'll get:

- AP gamer with no focus whatsoever on our local school, probably

And we wonder why no one wants to buy our piece of shit product any more.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

You said it Cosmo. Readers aren't stupid. Suits are very stupid.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Got a very good feeling about Mississippi State. Think they are going to surprise a few.
    Here's hoping that AP comes through. This could be their brightest moment of the year and hopefully, they are up for the challenge the NCAA and NIT presents.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Excellent pull.

That's why I'll sleep on the floor and let somebody else take the bed. Just give me a pillow and I'll sleep anywhere.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Frederick is clearly a homophobe.........

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Twoback and footballbat relax after a long day of covering the Portland Pod.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

My paper's lucky.

We covered the local team at the conference tournament and in the NCAAs (we cut half the road trips in the regular season). But we only sent one writer to save money. Said team played all of its conference tournament games at noon and will play at 11:20 in the first round of the tourney.

That means one writer can still bust his ass and get a ton of material back to home base from the tournament, which is the plan.

And four in a room? Is anybody just eating the cost of their own room? Or maybe the four sharing the cost of a second room (that room being a two-bedroom suite at a Residence Inn)?

Draft saved Draft deleted