1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tourney coverage and the economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Mar 16, 2009.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Anyone else run into the wall of finding out the team you cover is on the other side of the country today and the office brass says no to travel?

Anyone want to split hotel/gas with me?

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To reduce the cost to the company, not yourself, right?

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm trying to come up with a plan so that I can tell the boss it wouldn't be that much...hell, I ain't driving cross country to trying to track down a flight for fun! If I'm going...it's on their dime, not mine! :)

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

OK, just checking. ;)

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We got a break getting sent close to home. Paper can pack four into one car and one room! Had we been sent west, we would have had fewer media followers.

Lord, I remember the good ol' days when we tried to have someone at all eight subs and all four regionals. They are long, long gone. As a writer, this used to be my favorite time of the year.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Content sharing, anyone?

Seriously, I think this is yet another fallout of the fact there is so much media (TV, radio, internet,SIDs) that having a print reporter at the site is no longer a huge priority for a lot of places.

That, and OF COURSE, the fact everyone has run out of money... and it's only mid-March.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

A couple years back, Winthrop got sent to Spokane (I think) and two guys from the Rock Hill Herald DROVE in a rented car to watch Winthrop advance to the second round (maybe further?). Apparently, employer would pay for a rental car and hotel but not mileage or a flight.

Which is wise because no one really reads about college basketball in March, so why throw money at it?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Serve, you are correct. They also drove to Denver a year later to watch the Eagles get thumped by Wazzu.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

So I take it the four who work for your local paper are NOT homophobic..... ;)

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I didn't have to have this debate at my place this year.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's just messed up. If they left on selection Sunday, split turns driving, I'm still not sure how they reached Spokane by Thursday. That is one hell of a long trip.

It was stuff like this that the "pod" system was supposed to eliminate. Oh, well, UCLA playing in Philadelphia, Florida State playing Boise, Maryland meeting Cal in Kansas City (hey, at least it's halfway).

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We've gone to the NCAAs every year with the local women's team since as long as I can remember. We won't this year, even if we can do it for $600. Pathetic.

Draft saved Draft deleted