1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NCAA Tournament wireless

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Shaggy, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Before I bailed, I got an offer for a six-month trial and a good rate after that. As many cards as we wanted. Six months. Free. Seemed like a no brainer.
    Nope. We had our contract with another carrier. Couldn't do it.
    "How 'bout we switch carriers and get six months FREE and then a better rate?"
    "Nope."
    "(And we wonder why the stock is tanking). You're kidding, right?"
    "Nope."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy, when I was in Texas I was talking to another writer. Our deal with Avis leaves us with OBSCENELY expensive cars. I was paying $182.18 for four days...he was paying less than $60.

Thanks company for wondering why our expense reports are so high.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I had a "contract" car issue, too. Wish Avis. One of my writers saved us about 350 on a week-long trip and I approved it. And caught hell. Another writer had a deal with National and I made him check what it would have cost before every trip, just so we'd know.
    Hell, I asked them to book me a car for a personal trip once. 72 a day. Well, I wasn't tied into the contract so I went and got my own. 60. For TWO days.

When I was writing, I went to the EE (now retired) because I found a three-day travel deal (air, hotel, car) for about 1,200 less than we were quoted. He told me to do it and he'd deal with the shit. Did he ever. He intercepted a note to me and laid it out for them and told them to take up any complaints with him. In the meantime, they could figure out how to use the 1,200 I'd saved.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You had wireless during the Memphis-UCLA game?
    I didn't know a single person who did.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I know in my town, the NCAA had the local free signal that blankets downtown blocked, so press had to pay the wireless charge and not get the free signal.

Everyone with iPhones or other such devices worked fine until they walked in the door and then it went away as they went into the gym.
    Worlock and the NCAA can suck my balls.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

When I covered Louisville in Birmingham, I stayed at a Hampton Inn not too far away. Sent all my stuff from there. Luckily, getting around Birmingham isn't that bad.

As far as covering it in Charlotte, I made a HUGE mistake. Signed up for wireless the day Louisville played Tennessee. Got my nca08XXX username and pass code. Since Louisville won and we are not a Saturday paper, didn't go back on Friday and took the day off (my first one in that two-week pay period). On Saturday, went back to the arena and re-upped for wireless internet. Given the same damn username and pass code. Had I just logged on and tried the same stuff, it would have worked. Damn it.

7. AVSE

AVSE Member

The NCAA shut down the Honda Center wireless in Anaheim to make people use their network. Fortunately my paper has portable wireless adapters so we didn't get raped by the NCAA for web access, but it was a pain in the ass. I don't get why the Super Bowl and all MLB sites are free, but the NCAA comes into town and has to find one more way to cash in. It's not like all the stories from the tournament are bad for the NCAA.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

At the women's first and second round games in Des Moines, if you had the wireless password and username that worked during the high school tournaments at the arena, you could use it for free. The NCAA didn't know that.

9. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Heck, Iowa's Carver Hawkeye Arena doesn't even have wireless. Even worse, you have to remember to bring your own ethernet cord or be one of the lucky few to snatch one off the floor.

It might be one of the worst places to cover a college basketball game -- easily the worst in the Big Ten, and that's including Northwestern.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

OK, I got one of my receipts in the mail today. Still waiting on the other weekend.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

They do now, sucker.
    Expect the bill in the mail later this week.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Except stupid silly me paid for my wireless before I got there. So I've already paid.

Draft saved Draft deleted